Lake Nasser Cruise


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Lake Nasser
October 29th 2012
Published: October 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

running to the ATMrunning to the ATMrunning to the ATM

a guard and hte director escorted them across the street to a working ATM - third try ofr one that worked
Lake Nasser Cruise:



Tuesday, October 23



Arrived in Aswan late last night. We visited the temple of Philae which had been moved to a different island because of the building of the High Dam. The amount of work involved moving these historic sites must have been overwhelming and took years to complete. We watched a documentary showing the different steps used dealing with these massive monuments and temples. Bought some interesting things from the vendors around Philae. Hanan had explained to some vendors how I was hassled at Edfu and they were all so apologetic and trying to make me feel better. I ended up buying a dress, shirt for Ross and trinket jewellery. Ah well. We crossed the lower dam and then visited the High Dam of Aswan. Off to our next ship, the Omar El Khayam. It can hold 120 passengers – this time there are 20 of us. The Japanese had gone to Cairo from Aswan and we have 6 German people now. There is a crew of 120 – pretty good ratio of 6 crew per person. Service is exceptional. There are spacious interior common areas and
not a typical desert scenenot a typical desert scenenot a typical desert scene

near the Aswan Dam
good sized cabins with luxurious beds and marble bathrooms. Oh of course a very nice pool and 2 hot tubs – hmph! An afternoon of relaxing and eating. Lake Nasser is wide and calm. Both shores are desert and cliffs and the hills or mountains all seem to erode in pyramid shape. Beautiful sunset.



Wednesday, October 24



After breakfast we went by motor launch to the Valley of the Lions. There are 3 temples and we walked in the desert from one to another. This would not be a place to be stranded. One of the temples had hieroglyphics with quite a bit of colour where you could see some of the fabric design and headdress details. Hanan always entered a room first stamping her feet as she went. Took a few times before I realized I don’t want to be the person right behind her in case something comes slithering out. We came out of the second temple and there was a vendor with his jewellery and trinkets. Don’t know where he came from. Never a missed opportunity for these people. Hot, hot, hot even in the shade. Back on board we read, napped and ate.



Thursday, October 25



Peaceful sailing through the lake. Time to catch up on all my journaling and sketching. About noon we were in sight of Abu Simbel and we approached the massive temple built by Ramses II and the one he built for Queen Nefertari. We docked at the site and then had as much time as we wanted to go through on our own. Besides being awed by the size of the entrance statues my favourite part was in the queen’s temple. There was a beautiful and colourful scene just by the sanctuary room. An impressive way to end our tour. Dinner was a buffet (all meals were buffets on this ship) and then everyone went to pack and go to bed early.



Friday, October 26



Breakfast at 5:30 am and then to Abu Simbel airport. We flew to Aswan and had an hour and a half wait and then on to Cairo. Lunch was at the Fairmont Airport Hotel – super fancy buffet. Can’t believe I didn’t take pics. Seafood salads were great but for the first
locked outlocked outlocked out

Ross could not figure out how to depress the button and let me back in. Had to call housekeeping. Technically challenged or so he pretends.
time there was plenty of chocolate – even a chocolate fountain. Aah what a way to impress me! Next we were off to our hotel at the Intercontinental CityStars Hotel where all the sheiks stay. The lobby was amazing and the pool area was stunning – hmph! We went to see the mall that was connected to this hotel and it was a maze of shops. Six floors with hallways going in irregular directions. If I had used my regular method of shopping (stick to the right hand side and do not cross) then I would probably still be winding my way through the shops. When we came back we were on the elevator with a family that had at least 20 or 30 expensive name brand shopping bags. Tonight we had our final dinner together (buffet) and while we ate a fight broke out among some patrons. Security guards finally came in and took one guy away. There was some tension at our table when the men were pushing and shoving at the end of our table. The manager came over and profusely apologized for the interruption – seems it was a slight misunderstanding on the volatile patron’s part. He came back in in another 15 minutes and finished his meal and no one paid him the slightest attention. This of course was the first time our armed guards were nowhere in sight. Up to the room to pack and early bed.



Saturday, October 27



I would go on Viking River Cruises again just for the way they get you through the airport. Our rep just took us to the front of every line, no hassle over the weight of the bags, through security at the front of the line. It was like we were celebrities. The airport had lots of duty free shopping and nice clean areas to wait for our flight to Paris.



Impressions:



· this trip was fantastic with a great group of people



· Hot air balloon flight is a MUST over the Valley of the Kings



· Security guards with us all the time but never noticed them after the first day



· Traffic here is similar to Moscow – would never rent a car here



· I should have carried a timeline of the pharaohs



· Food was interesting and delicious



· Egypt needs to address their litter problems especially in the canals



· Completely amazed at the good condition of the hieroglyphics



· Nice to be there with so few tourists at the sites and on the ships


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



3rd November 2012

Great Pictures!
Your blog is very interesting. We had a good time in Jordon. Got home to find a leak had soaked the carpets in our home office. So, we are in a big mess. The carpets are torn out and we have blowers going. Oh well. We sure enjoyed being with you guys. Hope to see you again some time.
19th December 2012

Great blog
Hi Diane and Ross, It was fun reading your blog Diane, I'm glad it took me awhile as you have refreshed my memory! I was just looking at Notes on my iPad and found note with the address. It was a great trip and a really good bunch of people! Maybe we will meet again down the road!

Tot: 0.545s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb