The only way to travel


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Kom Ombo
December 20th 2023
Published: December 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our morning started with a little less opportunity for atmosphere soaking and we were actually dropped off on time - they must have known that our plan for the next three days was to soak, on the deck of our dahabiya, along the Nile to Esna. We knew we were in for three relaxing days on the deck, watching the world go by, punctuated by a few excursions to shore for some ugh history. What we didn’t know is that our 10 berth boat was exclusively for us! Well isn’t this just the way to travel! Ugh poshness!

Our journey started northwards, pulled by a tug and we relaxed on our (exclusive) deck, reading, lolling about on deck chairs and generally soaking up the (posh) atmosphere. We looked down our noses as many cruise ships passed us by. All that exclusivity makes a person hungry, so we partook in lunch as the world sailed by.

Pulled in to Kom Ombo temple which we had mostly to ourselves. Learned about Sobek and Horus and their sharing of the temple. Our guide Mohammed explained the pictures and reliefs around the walls and showed us the Greek and Roman additions as walls around the outside. Trajan even appeared, offering surgical instruments to the gods.

Next stop was the crocodile museum (for Sobek) which had a collection of mummified crocodiles that had been found in sarcophagi around the temple.

It was becoming a little tiresome mixing with the commoners so we returned to our (luxury) transport and whiled away the afternoon on the deck as we headed further north for our evening stop. Enjoyed the sunset on deck and another delicious meal before crashing in our cabins for the night.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb