Away from the craziness


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
March 30th 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 View01 View01 View

This is the view of the Nile from our hotel room.
Geo: 23.9698, 32.7945

Finally got some sleep this morning on the train. The seats are great and comfortable, but I found it hard to fall asleep. Aswan seems like a small city, much cleaner, less hectic than Cairo, like it already. The porters took our bags to our hotel and we walked the two minute walk. Don't know how I'm going to learn how to carry my bag if others are keen to do it for me. Our hotel is beautiful, overlooking the Nile, which is blue here and not brown muck like in Cairo. It has a pool, hope I get around to getting in it.

We had a quick tour of the town and had an Egyptian lunch as a group. It was yummy. Seven of us wandered through the market. Everything seemed to be 5 pounds- bargain. Felt much safer at this market and it was less crowded than Khan al-Kailli and we had males with us and for once they got harassed- to buy things. We got lots of 'Hey Aussie, you come from Sydney/Melbourne', 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie', 'Hey mate', etc. To most people Sydney/Melbourne is the same place.

In the late afternoon we all went for a 1
02 Felucca's on the Nile02 Felucca's on the Nile02 Felucca's on the Nile

There were lots of felucca's around
hour felucca ride around Aswan and then down the river. It was calming until a cruise boat went past, then we rocked. We then caught a motor boat to a Nubian village for a traditional meal in their home. Omar was the head of the house. Nubians are a native tribe to Eygpt. Men can marry anyone and the women must marry from the tribe. Off to bed early, tomorrow is an early start.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

03 The captain03 The captain
03 The captain

This man was the captain of our felucca
04 Riverboats04 Riverboats
04 Riverboats

These are some of the many riverboats that lined the Nile. Behind each boat there are 2 others and you have to walk through boats to get to shore.
05 Felucca05 Felucca
05 Felucca

A felucca in the sunset
06 Our felucca06 Our felucca
06 Our felucca

Once we got on the motorboat, I took a photo of our felucca and this is it. It is obviously well-loved.
07 Buliding on the Nile07 Buliding on the Nile
07 Buliding on the Nile

The river bank with green trees and desert behind


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb