Basata


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai
June 14th 2009
Published: June 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Several of my friends and I took a couple days off work to head to Basata, located in the Sinai Penninsula. The 6-7 hours it takes to get there is definetly worth it.

Life in Basata is simple.
As one person I met in Basata said "here you feel every minute as it supposed to felt. Unlike Cairo or any other large city, where time flies by and you don't ever stop to reflect." You sleep in huts with no electricty or running water, these anemities are found in the communial bathrooms, which are designed to decrease water usage. Everything in Basta is designed to leave the smallest ecologic footprint possible. Trash is sectioned off by: food trash for animals, plastics, glass, non-organic waste, and other waste. The food they cook all comes from their green house or from local vendors. The huts are desinged out of bamboo and other wood, all eco-friendly materials.

Basata is a place filled with trust, honestly, and friendship
Food items are available for purchase. However, you, yourself record what food or drinks you consume on a piece of paper provided to you upon check-in. Basta trusts that you will be honest in recording these purchases.
Dinner alternates between fish and vegetarian dishes each day. You also have the option of cooking your own dinner. During dinner time, everyone sits amongst each other, which helps create new friendships and strengthens old ones. I feel that in this fast-paced world, there are fewer and fewer families that sit down together for dinner.

Basata allows you to decompress
Working in a city as crazy as Cairo, one needs to take a break and relax every now and then. During my days in Basata, I was able to read, swim, snorkel (the reefs are not as impressive as in Nuweiba or Dahab), have conversations with old and new friends, and just enjoy others company.

Basata and Rock Sea (in an earlier post) are great finds which help me enjoy life. I can only hope that I can find similar places whereever I end up in the future.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Our hutOur hut
Our hut

This is where we slept. It was an awesome 3 floor hut!


14th June 2009

hi
yes you much darker, I am glad you taking time to relax

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb