Finally, a blog.... and the pyramids.


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Giza
September 4th 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Fall 2008 Route


Additional maps: Trips in Egypt/Middle East

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
So today I finally got around to seeing the Pyramids, after 2 weeks in Egypt. The average tourist makes a beeline for them almost before getting off the tarmac at Cairo International, but I got a decent view from the plane on the final approach. That was enough to tide me over until now, but a lot of people left for Alexandria today, so I figured it was good timing to see the Great Pyramids.

To get to Giza we (myself and two friends) grabbed a taxi and sat for an hour or so in bumper to bumper traffic. "No A/C," the driver explained, "but OK, I roll window down, fresh air come in." Fresh air indeed, the exhaust fumes were wonderful. As we approached the pyramids through Giza (which is a rather modern, Westernized neighborhood), I spotted the Pyramid of Khufu first, rising majestically above the Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise attached to the Giza Mall. And let me tell you, the urban sprawl has really pushed its limits here. The pyramids are situated on the Giza Plateau, around which shops and high-rise apartments have invaded like an urban fungus. Once we finally got through security and entered the complex, we got our first good unimpeded look at the pyramids. I'm sure you've heard that pictures do not do the Giza Pyramids justice. Well, they don't. But I took plenty of pictures anyway.

It was actually quite a pleasant visit; the temperature dipped down to a high of about 93 today (heat index 96), which is rather balmy to say the least for late summer in the Sahara. Plus there was really no one there, so the normally-ubiquitous beggars and vendors and all-purpose hasslers had retreated a bit. We walked around the complex a bit and watched people climb up the pyramids past the well-armed yet indifferent security guards and the signs that said 'NO CLIMBING' in at least six languages. However, the problem with the photos I took was that it's hard enough to get a frame of reference when you're seeing these massive edifices with your own eyes, let alone when you're looking at a two-dimensional photo. Nonetheless, the pictures taken from the base of the pyramids show a slightly better angle.

I thought the Sphinx was cooler simply for aesthetic reasons. Even though the pyramids at Giza are astonishing to see and the only remaining
KhufuKhufuKhufu

It's big.
ancient wonder of the world, they're essentially piles of rocks. From an engineering and logistical standpoint, the pyramids are far more incredible. But something about the Sphinx was more intriguing, more pleasing to the eyes. Especially the view of the front of the Sphinx with the pyramids in the background, a viewpoint which was achieved by grabbing a table on the roof of the Pizza Hut across the street. I took pictures and a video from up there so you know I'm not joking.

We got a taxi back to Zamalek from a very nice man named Ali who keeps a book that he asks his passengers to sign. He had signatures from tourists from America, all over Europe, Korea, China, Japan, Australia, and one from Iceland. He gave us a pretty sharp-looking business card and said we could hire him privately any day we wanted to drive a little farther down to Memphis and Saqqara. I think I just might take him up on that. I'm also including a video from the taxi ride featuring Ali dancing because one of the songs on the radio was called 'Ali', which apparently he thought was just fantastic.

So if
Khafre from the baseKhafre from the baseKhafre from the base

This is the most recognizable one, with some of the limestone casing remaining on the top.
you haven't connected the dots already, I have a blog now. I figure it should be easier to write these entries and post photos and videos and maps all in one place rather that rapid-fire emailing, so expect more of these in the near future. They may not be as long, but I'll check in as frequently as I'm able.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Me in front of KhafreMe in front of Khafre
Me in front of Khafre

Kind of just looks like a wall from this vantage point, but this is pretty much right up the side of the pyramid (the top is 446 feet up).
Me and KhufuMe and Khufu
Me and Khufu

Standing in the shadow of Khafre
Desert/Pyramid of MenkaureDesert/Pyramid of Menkaure
Desert/Pyramid of Menkaure

Menkaure is the smallest of the three pyramids at Giza.
Pizza Hut shotPizza Hut shot
Pizza Hut shot

Apparently if you slip the manager here 10 pounds he'll let you sit on the roof and watch the nightly Sound and Lights show that costs 150 pounds inside the complex 50 feet away.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb