Pyramids


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Giza
December 3rd 2006
Published: December 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

James with some famous landmarkJames with some famous landmarkJames with some famous landmark

Not sure what it is...
Probably the most identifiably Egyptian location, the Pyramids have captured the minds of travellers for hundreds of years. And now we finally got our turn to see them for ourselves.

We set out fairly early, still learning the names of our fellow group members in the bus on the way out there, and after negotiating the Cairo morning traffic we saw the distinctive points of the pyramids rising above the satellite dishes on the apartment block roofs. Of course it is winter here which is peak season, as the temperature is not regularly in the 40s like it is in summer, so that means lots of people at spots like this. We were expecting that though, so didn't mind sharing these ancient monuments which are the only surviving Ancient Wonder of the World.

And once we were out of the van and standing at the base of the Great Pyramid, staring up at over 150 metres of sandstone blocks, still standing after 5000 years of weathering and tourism, you don't seem to notice the other tourists for a while. But then a local tout pushes some postcards in your face asking if you want 10 for 10 Egyptian pounds and you are brought back to earth.

We paid to go into the centre of the smaller pyramid of the two main ones and see the actual tomb. We were warned about the passage-way being low ceillinged and cramped but weren't quite prepared for having to bend double for 150m while being jostled by school kids on an excursion. Still, once we were in there and the kids have left it was a moment of taking stock of where we were, in the middle of a pyramid, and how long this tomb has been there, 5000 thousand years, and wondering what stories the walls could tell if they could speak.

After emerging from the tunnel and breathing some, relatively, freash air we had some time to explore the area for ourselves. We circled the smaller pyramid, climbed some random piles of ancient blocks and turned down the offers of camel and horse rides, as well as numerous offers of assorted souvenirs. It was a stunning scene and we loved every minute of taking it all in.

We were then taken to a viewpoint not far from the actual pyramids where you can see all 6 of the pyramids at Giza, with the sphinx and Cairo as a backdrop. The haze that was obscuring the view of the city also started to clear which gave us a better view of the position of the pyramids at the edge of the escarpment the rises up from the fertile Nile valley. And we had a great view of the stage and seating being contructed for a staging of Aida, and more souvenir stalls and camel rides.

Then it was back down the road to the sphinx and the connected temple, which was equally crowded and breath taking.

Back in the van and our very informative Egyptologist guide took us to a local take away for lunch where we had more felafels and kebabs, before taking us back to the hotel.

We had the afternoon to ourselves so we ventured into Khan El-Khalili, the market on the other side of Cairowith a couple of others from our group. We picked up a couple of bargains, shirt for Karen and fire crackers for James, as well as learning some more haggling skills. We finished with some sweet tea and baklava before taxing back to the hotel for some sleep ahead of our early start the next morning, heading into the desert.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb