Abidjan to Elmena


Advertisement
Cote d’Ivoire's flag
Africa » Cote d'Ivoire » South » Abidjan
December 7th 2015
Published: December 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Visit Abidjan cathedral, sort of in the shape of a suspension bridge, swing by the area where a lot of the city's Laundry is done in a local river, around 40 men pounding and slapping clothes into the water & over old tyres. 08/12/15 head to Grand Bassam Beach and camp at Drogba Beach; a simple beach resort. Next day take a stroll to the old colonial capital to see the interesting if not deteriorating old French architecture, highlight being the fishing village at the end of town with some very enthusiastic crews singing French shanties whilst heaving their nets in. Cook dinner with our cook group followed by a dance performance by a local group, cool drumming, girls, spirit devil outfits and flames. 3 of us head into Grand Bassam town with the dance crew for even more dancing (and drinks)



09/12/15 reach the Ghana Border around midday from G Bassam, after some Africa time for the Ivorian officials and a fairly hectic but commendably fast Ghana stamp we head onto our beach camp near Elmena, 10/12/15 we drive to Elmena fishing port for a tour of west Africa's biggest slave fort, big white building with bags of disturbing history. peruse around Elmenas expansive fish market, not an overly tourist friendly atmosphere but minus the fish juice underfoot plus aroma of flipper's armpit a super array of many species and sizes. Some ridiculous tuna axing & paddling pool sized vats of fish upon head carrying going on. Afternoon was spent viewing a second slave fort before returning for a fish buffet din dins at our place of stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb