Breakfast in Brazzaville


Advertisement
Congo, Republic of the's flag
Africa » Congo » South » Brazzaville
July 25th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast in Brazzaville can be a surreal experience. The ‘Exotic Palace’ seemed quite a formal affair with tablecloths, while ‘porcelain’ and fully togged waiters. Initially I had the impression of stepping into a 1930s tea room, yet the contest between France24 broadcast in one corner and Celion Dion at the patisserie counter gave this place the truly African touch.

Brazzaville’s business men were present en masse. One particular entrepreneur caught my attention, partly because of his meet and greet style (showed off too much, only new to the money and power circles), partly because his assistant was busy shifting files from his briefcase to the table. Thick wads of cash were openly passed around. I scan the room to find someone equally perplexed by the situation, but no one bats an eyelid. The lady next to me orders a Jonnie Walker with her omelette. It’s 08:30 and just another day in the Congo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Plastic BZVPlastic BZV
Plastic BZV

I'm definitely not implying that there is more waste in Brazza than in other places, it's just that it's so much easier to take photos here!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb