Arrival in Africa


Advertisement
Congo, Democratic Republic of the's flag
Africa » Congo Democratic Republic » West » Kinshasa
July 19th 2012
Published: July 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After 14 hours in the air and 3 on the ground in the Brussels Airport, we arrived safely at N'Djili Airport in Kinshasa, Congo. Wefour American SNDs -- Maureen, Margaret, Evelyn and yours truly -- were fortunate to have as traveling companions 3 Congolese SNDs -- Anaclette, Ursule and Marie Dominique -- who were returning home from an international education conference at Emmanuel College in Boston.

The baggage claim experience was a sight to behold. Unfortunately I could not take photos because of a law forbidding this. The presence of many uniformed police officers would discourage anyone from breaking any law! It took an hour and a half to recover all our bags -- no small feat given all the congestion around the carousel and the fact that the tram that usually brings baggage from the plane to the terminal was out of commission.

We piled the bags and ourselves into 2 vans driven by men employed by the Sisters to handle all driving needs. Normally the trip from the airport to Kimwenza takes about an hour. It took us 5 times longer. The main road leading from the airport is in terrible shape -- as all roads in Congo are. Construction work has been going on to repair and widen it. So drivers need to weave about from lane to lane -- all unmarked -- to make even the slightest headway. When we finally arrived at midnight at the SND house in Kimwenza, there were lots of smiles and warm welcomes at the door.

More tomorrow, with photos.

Advertisement



20th July 2012

Great news of safe arrival
It is wonderful to learn first hand and so rapidly of your safe arrival. We have had your flights in mind, so now we know that you just have to survive bumpy roads, strange food, and a time-change! It is only 68 degrees here in New England 7/20/12 at 1:15 pm. Esther
23rd July 2012

Thanks
Hi Esther, Thanks for your note. We're all doing well and enjoying the experience. Hope all is well at home. Jo-Ann
23rd July 2012

God bless you all.
Just a month ago I went to Kinshasa for the first time and stayed for two weeks over there. I experienced exactly the same you saw at the airport and in the road to Kin, so your entries at this blog bring me a lot of memories. Since my trip there, everything that happens at DRC is of interest for me and my family. That's how we found your blog. Even if I stayed at Gombe, I could see enough of DRC to begin understanding the suffering of that country. It's a hard place to be, and its people need all of the help we can provide. So I admire you and your sisters and thank you for going there. Hope you may be safe and God give you the strenght and wisdom to help the congolese. God bless you all, and please be careful.
23rd July 2012

following you now
Hi Jo-Ann, Just back from Mexico. You're doing a great job. Love the pictures. And the info re recovering your bags in the airport reminded me so much of my experience in Nigeria. - It was a little scary.
25th July 2012

Thanks
Thanks, Denise. So glad you're enjoying the blog. Hope all is well back home. Jo-Ann
24th July 2012

Congo Trip
Thanks for using a blog. I am posting information from your blog on our SNDdeN_SunPower Twitter account and sharing your travels. We have lots of followers so I am sure many will learn about the work in the Congo. Best wishes to all. Our prayers are with all of you.
25th July 2012

Thanks
Thanks, Kristin. So glad you've logged on. Hope all is well back home. Jo-Ann
9th October 2012

flag
Hi Sister Jo-Ann, I am glad to have discovered your blog. I have no idea of how the Congo looks like now since I haven't been home since 2007. Thank you for taking the courage to go and for sharing your experience. Next time I will sent you a picture of the flag the one you have is not used presently. God bless you !

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb