Botswana


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
March 26th 2013
Published: March 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. What is the Natural Resource Curse (NRC)?

The NRC is the paradox of wealth in natural resources, combined with crushing poverty.

2. What are factors that contribute to the NRC?

Income from natural resources are often misappropriated by corrupt leaders. This income also fuels internal conflict such as civil war.

3. According to the Case Study, how has Botswana managed to escape the effects of the NRC?

Botswana has managed to escape the effects of the NRC through having good Gov't policies, strong leadership, and a sound long term development plan. The partially Government owned diamond company also gives back to the community.

4. Until 1999, The Ivory Coast was renowned for its political and economic stability. What are factors that led the country to civil war in 2002?

Some factors that led to the civil war were economic disparity, ethnicity and religion. The Muslims in the North rebeled against the Christian Government in the South.

5. What role did natural resources play in the development of conflict in the Ivory Coast?

One factor that lead to the IC's NRC was unequal distribution of natural resource wealth. The nation once thrived from the exports of cocoa and diamonds, but then the Christian Gov't took control of the cocoa, and as a result of this the Muslim rebels took control of the diamonds.

6. Assuming peace agreements are made, what measures do you think the government can implement to prevent the effects of the NRC in the future?

The Government of The Ivory Coast should implement and enforce anti child labor laws, because the vast majority of the military forces are children. As a result of this conflict, the government is spending very little money on public education and healthcare. The nation will stabilize in the long term if young people are well educated and healthy. The government could also use Botswana as a model, because their diamond trade has helped them thrive.

7. list two ways that the government of Botswana has worked with the diamond industry to assure that the country benefits from the diamond revenue.

The Debswana Diamond Company is partially owned by the Botswana government, and they make sure the diamonds are mined and traded ethically. The revenue generated by the DDC is also given back to the community in the form of building hospitals, svhools and recreational facilities for citizens.

8. How do you think that the international community can help stop the effects of the NRC in the ivory coast and other developing nations?

The UN arms embargo failed in the ivory coast because of loopholes. by estabolishing a strong presence in countries either at risk or currently at war, rebel forces will be intimidated and will surrender. after the wars are over, the rebuilding nations can implemnt laws to prevent a similar conflit from happening again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb