Cape Town to Maun.


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
May 9th 2009
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Going from Cape Town to Maun in under two days? Yes you can do it! We started from Cape Town at 6.20 friday morning. Plane tickets costed around R600 p/p. We arrived in Jo'burg two hours later. We had booked tickets on the luxury (!) bus "Intercape", that would take us to the capital of Botswana- Gabarone.

The plan was to stay one night in Gabarone, but when we got there we were told that there were no available hostels or hotels...and since it was dark we didn't really feel like running around on the streets...So what to do? We started talking to some finnish people that also were on the "Intercape" and were in the same situation as us - no were to stay for the night. So we ended up taking a taxi from Gabarone to Francistown!! About 500 km...it costed us 3000 pula, but divided between the seven of us we thought it was acceptable. Later we found out that we were - of course, being ripped off. 😉 Before we left the drivers wanted to check the cars so they were ok. Lucky shot! We had a flat tyre! Their co-worker had sabotaged it, because he wanted to drive us!!! They shifted the tyre in about 3 minutes so no more delayes there... *hehe*

We came to Francistown about five hours later, around 2:30 in the morning and after some struggle we found a motel that had a family room available. We managed to persuade the woman at reception, with great help from our taxi drivers, to let all of us stay in a room for four people. One person to much in each bed. But at least we could sleep for some hours. At 6:45 they called our room and asked us to leave... Come on! We had already promised that we would be out of there at 7:30... But up we went and left in a hurry. *hehe*

Breakfast and then the next, and last, part of the journey started. A new bus, this time for a great price - P87 p/p! Left at 9:30 and were in Maun around 3-4... Can't really remember.. =) Finally we could rest!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb