One more for the road


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
March 27th 2008
Saved: January 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Smoke breakSmoke breakSmoke break

Enjoying a smoke in a bone pipe
Hi All,

Just putting together a proper blog entry now that Anj and I are settled back in Toronto...lots to tell regarding our visit to Cape Town, jobs, apartments, the horrible weather and me being attacked by a pack of stray raccoons while busking for pocket change in the downtown core...but I digest.

Here are some more photos from a bit back during our trip around the country with Barbara and Tom Ryan. Needless to say, it was another wonderful jaunt around a wonderful country. In the previous email, I talked about the changing environment of Botswana and we had a front and centre seat for this in our trip with the Ryans. Driving out to the Nata salt pans in an open backed safari truck, we saw some beautiful landscape and flocks of rare birds. Unfortunately it started pouring on our way back and Anj, Tom & I tried to keep dry huddled together under an umbrella while speeding along in the back of the truck. Not very effective, but an adventure nonetheless.

The highlight was and always is spending time in the Kalahari. Anj and I got two nights there alone before heading back to Gabs.
Tom and Bry in KhamaTom and Bry in KhamaTom and Bry in Khama

Relaxing outside our cabin before the game drive
We went for daily trips out to the quarry to swim, ate like royalty and had the entire lodge to ourselves with narry a person around us for tens of kilometres. Sorry, there are no pictures of me wandering in the pitch dark in my boxers and a headlamp looking for the loo at 3am, trying to avoid scorpions and snakes. Ah, things are exactly the same here in Toronto.

This was also our last set of visitors for the year. Amazingly, we had 8 total visitors come all the way to Botswana just to see little old us (and perhaps Africa) and all since September. We can't say enough how much it meant to us (and our sanity) to have such close friends and family visit us.

Hope you all enjoy these photos and thanks for keeping in touch so well.

Love,
Bry & Anj

NOTE: LOTS MORE PHOTOS ON THE NEXT PAGE (INCLUDING ONE OF ME SHOOTING A RARE TIGER)




Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Family of OstrichFamily of Ostrich
Family of Ostrich

Mom and four baby ostriches. Our first time seeing their young. Amazing
The Unending SkyThe Unending Sky
The Unending Sky

We will definitely miss the size of the sky here. Nata nearing sunset.
Spot the RhinoSpot the Rhino
Spot the Rhino

Rhinos everywhere in Khama. Many did not need the help of binocs to be seen.
Close enoughClose enough
Close enough

One of the 21 rhinos seen that afternoon.
Lilac Breasted RollerLilac Breasted Roller
Lilac Breasted Roller

The national bird of Botswana and beautiful. Unfortunately we ran over at least one of them on the way home.
African SpoonbillAfrican Spoonbill
African Spoonbill

A rare sighting. Note the spoon-like bill. Apt name.
Open SkiesOpen Skies
Open Skies

The skies begin to open up again in Nata.
Now look at the waterNow look at the water
Now look at the water

Nata. The water is 300 m closer in at least. Crazy.
Flooded in GwetaFlooded in Gweta
Flooded in Gweta

This marks the turnoff to Planet Baobab in Gweta, which was completely flooded this time. Not a chance we could make it in there.
Just made itJust made it
Just made it

A few hours later and this road was unpassable.
Roughin itRoughin it
Roughin it

Tom enjoying the open air ride (ahem) to our spot in the bush.
Back on the wagonBack on the wagon
Back on the wagon

Anj took well to the back of the truck. Lets see if she starts riding on the outside of streetcars back home.
Our poolOur pool
Our pool

Not quite, but we had the quarry to ourselves that day.
Lady and the WaterLady and the Water
Lady and the Water

Barbara enjoying the view
One last glimpseOne last glimpse
One last glimpse

A last ride in the bush
The sceneryThe scenery
The scenery

Quite amazing that most of this France sized country looks exactly like this. The sand is as good as any beach's


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb