The bumpy (wet) road to the Okavango, but boy was it worth it


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
March 9th 2020
Published: March 10th 2020
Edit Blog Post

The bumpy (wet) road to the Okavango, but boy was it worth it

We woke up at our wild camp to the most amazing sunrise over the salt flats and made our way back to the main road and headed into Maun which is the gateway to the Okavango Delta. We stopped for a good lunch and a re-stock of provisions and fuel and made our way toward the Delta.

The road degraded quickly into really bad corrugations that slowed us down and shook the car to kingdom come. Eventually we made the gate to the Okavango and we went in. The first thing to note is that it is very woody and the second thing is that there are ENORMOUS puddles up to ½ a metre deep everywhere and the water is brown or grey so you have no idea what is in it.

So we drove in and despite the staff at the gate to the park saying some roads were “passable” it would be fair to say they were the wrong side of “challenging”. We moved through the delta along sandy tracks with large watery sections and managed not to get stuck.

We wondered along ever smaller tracks, some with 6ft grass growing between the tracks. Eventually after a few hours of hard work we saw 5 White Rhinos which was really something. We also saw many elephant, giraffe, Hippo, crocodile, gazelle and many different birds. It was amazing and very different to anything else we’ve experienced in game parks.

Eventually we made our way back to the campsite in the park (which was a massive upgrade on the Kenyan ones!) and had a BBQ until it rained, which doesn’t bode well for tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb