Great Neighbour in Okovango Delta


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Moremi Game Reserve
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It took about 40 seconds to go through customs at Maun airport - the gateway to the Okavango where everything is low tech. Time to turn the cellphones off and say goodbye to city life as we know it as we hoped on our little little plane. Just enough seats for Ella and I and the pilot but great views of the delta as we flew over the lower reaches of the waterways. No horizon just blue haze coming off the delta merging with blue blue sky for miles. Feeling like we were heading for the back of beyond we landed at moremi crossing on the smallest landing strip I've seen. Ken met us and walked us a few hundred metres into Gunn's camp where the eating safari started. We were given drinks and snacks and shown our luxury two room tent and outdoor shower and bath - nice!

Dinner was a 4 course affair in the outdoor dinning room but the excitement began when we headed over the boardwalk back to our room - a young male elephant greated us just before our tent - didn't even see him until we Ken shouted at us to stop and go into another tent. Little bit nerve racking being that close but by day 3 we didn't even flinch when we woke up and he was outside our tent again. Bit like neighbours ... the longer you live next door the more familiar you get!

Off to dinner and will catch you up on the last few days in a couple of hours😊

PS missing NZ heaps!!

Advertisement



30th July 2012

holiday
Sounds like you are having a great time. We are back. Had a great time.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb