Back from the Okovango Delta


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Maun
February 23rd 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Words cannot begin to describe how unbelievably incredible our experience was in the Okovango Delta. We have just got off the plane (a half an hour flight over the glorious delta) and are sitting in a small internet cafe. I have to start off by saying that it has absolutely been the highlight of our trip so far. The flight over to the Kwara airstrip was a one in a lifetime experience. From the air i saw elephants, giraffe, Wildebeast, Ostrich and countless birds. Once landed we were met by Hobbs, one of the friendly guides from Little Kwara, and he drove us to the camp. The camp was truly stunning, overlooking a beautiful wide plain and waterhole and set in and amongst the trees. I was lost for words - this may sound a little silly but i had goosebumps!

Our rooms were lovely - we each had a little cabin on stilts and at night we had to be escorted to them because of poisonous snakes, lions and leapord which often come into the camp! The night before we arrived they had a huge python in the lounge area!!

Everyone was so friendly and welcoming - the manager, Kia, was really good fun but so was all the staff to be honest! the camp itself was really small and intimate which made it so perfect. As well as us there were two american guys travelling together, a really friendly american lady that we flew over with called Gerry and then another couple one of whom was a photographer! They were all so lovely and the discussions we had over drinks and dinner were both inspiring and very interesting. The couple from Seattle (the guy being the photographer) took a great interest in our trip and jack and i were lucky enough to be given their contact details and samples of his incredible photographs!

One thing that was really quite remarkable is that Gerry is in fact a volunteer (she lives in London but is from America) for the Maun Homeopathy project (the one that we came to look at for Adam!!). She had some really fascinating things to say about what they do, how the clinic is progressing (we all learnt alot). Anyway later on today we are going to the clinic to take a look around which should be incredible. Will write and tell you all about it tomoro hopefully. Its such a small world!!

Our three days were action packed and i sort of want to save the stories till i get back but what i will say is that we saw a pride of 7 male lion and followed their hunts until 10 at night! We came across lionesses and a lion cub, one of which i was literally 30cm away from. we saw a mother cheetah with her 5 cubs (only a few weeks old - mummy you would have died they were so cute!). All in all it was the most amazing experience. Mum and dad we are going there next year whether you like it or not! In fact steve - our bubbly. hilarious guide - says that if we return he could get us in as his guests for 300 pula a night (30 pounds)!

Jack and i (but jack in particular) are thinking about volunteering to work there this summer! We spoke to steve and he was really positive about it (he basically suggested it)!...If i do come out i want to fly with daddy (just because i could see him absolutely loving it and he could bring along his massive camera!!) to Rwanda to see the Gorillas! The photographer we met showed us the pictures he took there and the woman is kindly going to give me all the contact details and info on where to stay!!

Anwyay i could go on forever but i wont because i want to save it all when i get back!

Missing you all so much!

We leave on Wednesday to head across to Namibia! Our first main stop there will be Etosha!

Will write tomoro hopefully!

Hope your all well

XXX

XXXXX




Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb