I can see Zambia from here...........


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Kasane
May 26th 2011
Published: May 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Visited Victoria Falls yesterday, one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. It should be on everyone's bucket list. The Zambesi River is in full flood and the first thing that gets you is the roar of the water. The scene is really spectacular with water vapor rising high in the air. We were wearing our $5 ponchos for the first time feeling like two Clint Eastwoods. We still got wet but it was worth it. The far side of the falls is Zambia but we saw it from the Zimbabwe side. I will never forget it. We then went to the Victoria Falls Hotel which is another must. It is one of those African movie type of colonial hotels with ceiling fans, antelope heads on the walls and paintings of British monarchs on the walls. We had lunch on the verandah looking down the deep gorge to the Zambesi River. You could see where the old railway bridge crosses over.
It was a day trip to the falls in Zimbabwe from Kasane in the northern corner of Botswana. The only hassle was the one and a bit hours in the queue at the border post getting the Zimbabwean visa. Inflation is so bad in Zimbabwe that any currency other than their own is the way to go. We were told inflation is so bad for the currency in Zimbabwe that they weight it rather than count it!
We examined a dog which looks like it's got lymphosarcoma for a local guy. He turned out to be boat builder. To return the compliment he sent a boat around this morning with a local which took us out on the magnificent Chobe River for the morning. We saw hippo's with their babies, crocs, and amazing birdlife. The river divides Botswana and Namibia and there was nearly a war between the two countries over an island in the middle teeming with wildlife.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



28th May 2011

Great Blogging Brian
Hi Brian, Well written. Keep the bloggs coming- Feels like we are there with you. Sounds like you are having a great trip and really enjoying the adventure. Hope you are taking lots of photos? Best wishes to you and James Rob & Val
28th May 2011

Your blogs
Hi Brian, Really enjoy reading your blogs! You are having a wonderful time and seeing so much. The scenery sounds really spectacular. Hope we might see you when you are in Dublin. Weather terribly cold and wintry here!!! Kindest regards. Winnie
3rd June 2011

Will definitely be in touch in Dublin. Thanks for your kind words.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb