It's day four and we're still here


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-East » Francistown
December 4th 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After having only left JHB at 1.30 with so many last minute things to do (300 of them to be exact) we headed off towards the Groblersbrug border post. On our way we got a Sanral pamphlet that indicated that the border closed at 6pm - that gave us exactly 5.5 hours to travel 480kms. Nail biting but we got there 15 minutes to 6pm. Apparently Sanral hasn't caught up with the times as the border actually closes at 10pm. But it added a bit of adrenalin to what was a rather standard trip.

First night was a pleasant surprise. What was meant to be a quick stopover point was actually a very nice place called Stevensford game reserve. But having had a rather stressful embarkment we were only too happy to have an early night and forego playing board games into the night.

Second day of our safari trip was 420kms to Nata where the Makgadigadi salt pans paint a stark contrast against the dark blue storm clouds. Looking out at this white expanse of sand inspired Nigel to take a little jog in the nud! I kid you not - I have the photo to prove it.

Day 3: without delay - Nigel can be a real bully when he wants to get on the road - we headed off to Chobe Game Reserve where we braved ourselves for the real rough part of the trip. A campsite with nothing but an ablution block smothered in baboons who kept us awake with their jibes - anyone know what "eehhahoo" means in baboon language? - we feel rather offended.
But if you really want to be on your own in a beautiful setting, listening to Fish Eagles crying as they dive, watching the sunset over a hippo podded lake -this is the place. And we are impressed with outselves as we have not discovered any essentials that we left behind.

Day 4 - woke up to a refreshing shower - a downpour. Not so great when you're camping but it would have relieved the oppressive heat had their been any, instead it provided a good excuse for Nigel to allow me a few minutes respite from camp duties and a game drive - who actually wants to see poor animals huddled in puddles?

We'll post pictures next time - we promise.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb