Background: Formerly the British protectorate of Bechuanaland, Botswana adopted its new name upon independence in 1966. Four decades of uninterrupted civilian leadership, progressive social policies, and significant capital investment have created one of the most dynamic economies in Africa. Mineral extraction, principally diamond mining, dominates economic activity, though tourism is a growing sector due to the country's conservation practices and extensive nature preserves. Botswana has one of the world's highest known rates of HIV/AIDS infection, but also one of Africa's most progressive and comprehensive programs for dealing with the disease.
Photos from Francistown
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Francistown
Latest Blogs from Francistown
- March 16th 2012 Left in the wilderness
by Words: 786 Photos: 53
- November 1st 2010 A view from beyond the boundary
by Words: 497 Photos: 8
- October 30th 2010 Around Botswana in 80 combis
by Words: 923 Photos: 4
- October 29th 2010 Eat, Pray, Melt
by Words: 376 Photos: 4
- October 29th 2010 Tuesday and Wednesday summary
by Words: 456 Photos: 3
- July 13th 2010 Drifting into Botswana
by Words: 1153 Photos: 5
- June 25th 2008 Update on hospital and our fun weekend
by Words: 521 Photos: 0
- June 9th 2008 Culture shock!
by Words: 532 Photos: 0
- June 4th 2008 Arrival in Francistown!
by Words: 341 Photos: 0
- May 15th 2008 Botswana!
by Words: 297 Photos: 6
- March 4th 2008 Celebrations and fun in Botswana & SA
by Words: 854 Photos: 40
- December 4th 2007 It's day four and we're still here
by Words: 386 Photos: 0
- June 14th 2007 Day 250
by Words: 1174 Photos: 6