See the marketplace in Old Algiers...yes, we did!


Advertisement
Algeria's flag
Africa » Algeria » North » Algiers
May 12th 2011
Published: May 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello? Anyone home?Hello? Anyone home?Hello? Anyone home?

These huge wooden, decorated doors are commonplace around the casbah community. They are stunning.
Mark it off the bucketlist...We ventured into the Casbah and wandered the winding alleyways. We chatted with the locals (well, probably more just appreciated their hospitality since there was not a soul who spoke English). We explored some of the buildings and participated in the holy service (yes, I wore a head scarf). And even had lunch on the Mediterranean (if pushing fish heads around on your plate to make it look like you ate lunch counts as "having lunch").
The young boy in the one room school house would have been proud. He could have imagined the battles being fought in the Algerian Revolution, the camels hauling merchandise from the spice routes and the intrique of spies. Not much has changed among the cobblestone walkways and narrow passages. Residents still live in small quarters stacked upon one another. Kids still play inside the old walls. The soothing breezes off the Mediterranean still sweep through and cool the evenings. The community continues to supply water for everyone at communal water sources. Neighbors still seem to know everyone. And women still peek out the windows at passerbys below. Yes, that young Wabaunsee County boy would be so happy to know he finally
Casbah's version of the community watering holeCasbah's version of the community watering holeCasbah's version of the community watering hole

Every little bit, we came across these beautifully tiled niches used to supply drinking water for the residents of the casbah. As soon as we finished our photo shoot, the little boys playing "football" in the alley stopped by for a quick swig of water before continuing their game.
experienced everything glorified by the Duprees in the lyrics of the song "You Belong To Me."
Happy too would be all of our mamas back in the states because we followed the advice of the guide books and State Department and hired a guide to walk us through the many alleyways. We did not realize that a police escort is mandatory for foreign travellers and our guide suggested maybe even more so for American visitors. Americans seem to be few and far between in these parts of Africa--when we spoke English, it really seemed to make heads turn. Our guide spoke only French, so as we explored our entourage included the assigned police officer, our French speaking guide, the three Americans and our French to English interpreter (Kyle!).
We are enjoying Algiers from the food to the climate to the people. Maybe we are even pleasantly surprised at how much we are enjoying the destination. Thanks to the Duprees for the inspiration, dad's sisters for playing the song, and a little boy with an imagination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Don't get lost...Don't get lost...
Don't get lost...

The casbah is full of these tiny winding alleys where it is almost impossible to avoid getting lost. The roof is made of palm wood logs and so cool looking. The temperature within the alley is so much cooler than you would ever expect.
Mediteranean views under the hot African sunMediteranean views under the hot African sun
Mediteranean views under the hot African sun

The architecture and scenery is so unique to this part of the world. Needless to say, we're not in Kansas anymore!
Marketplace in Old AlgiersMarketplace in Old Algiers
Marketplace in Old Algiers

We're at the bottom of the casbah here near the hustle and bustle of the market and the fisherman's community.


13th May 2011

Things are running smoothly
Went to the farm on Wednesday to check the water situation-all is well. Here are some more interesting observations I have had since your departure: 1) Cheyenne is still the weirdest dog in the universe; 2) The camels have given up on you ever returning and have changed their alliance; 3) The horses are dog-tired and refuse to ever go on a cattle drive again; 4) Freud did not find the bolts in the flower beds to be any sort of deterrent whatsoever. It sounds like you all are having a wonderful time. Miss you!
13th May 2011

Things are running smoothly
Went to the farm on Wednesday to check the water situation-all is well. Here are some more interesting observations I have had since your departure: 1) Cheyenne is still the weirdest dog in the universe; 2) The camels have given up on you ever returning and have changed their alliance; 3) The horses are dog-tired and refuse to ever go on a cattle drive again; 4) Freud did not find the bolts in the flower beds to be any sort of deterrent whatsoever. It sounds like you all are having a wonderful time. Miss you!
13th May 2011
Marketplace in Old Algiers

Algiers
This looks like fun!! Be safe and I can't wait to hear all about it!!
27th July 2017

So Fantastic!
You have done what I have always, always dreamt of, and still dream of, doing! And yes, all because of that song! Brilliant! I love that you did that!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb