Not what we thought...........


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
June 25th 2011
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A short skip on the ferry across the Sea and we arrived in the world UNESCO town of Colonia del Sacremento. Colonia was a lovely, aflfuent old town totally geared up for tourists with plenty of money. As this was not us it was difficult to enjoy the array of coffee shops and top notch restaurants. However we did produce our best home made pizza so far in the hostel. The town was very different to the bustling streets of BA or Mendoza. The streets were cobbled and quiet, with more rental buggies than cars. The streets were also busy with horse and carts, we think used by upper class tramps for collecting rubbish. We spent our time there doing a short walk along the coast to the old bull ring, the only one remaining in South America. After being busy in BA we spent our evenings in the quiet of the hostel enjoying cable TV and watching loads of films.

After a few days in Colonia we headed down the coast to the Capital of Uruguay, Montevideo. We followed Lonely Planets instructions which described Montevideo as "Possibly the most liveable city in South America". Whoever wrote this must have been somewhere else. It was what we imagined City's in far east Russia might look like with the added Cathedral and a few old colonial buildings. The city seemed to be in transformation and did not meet our expectations after Lonely Planets description. However one thing that Montevideo did have going for it was the fantastic meat market. The indoor meat market grill was full of locals enjoying first class meat for lunch. Having both loved our meat in BA we could not turn this down and joined all the locals for steak chips and roast chicken. You could get full buckets of different meats – blood sausages, chicken legs, steak etc. It was incredible, tasted amazing and the atmosphere was brilliant. If you like meat then you should go to Montevideo just for that. We were going to spend 2 nights in Montevideo, but decided 1 was enough. We were both sick of the cold and thought it would be best to head north to the warmth of Brazil.

Lots of love T & Axx

Advertisement



4th July 2011

Hey Tom and Ash, I am really loving reading your blogs! Sounds like you've been having such a good time and def making the most of it. Can't believe you did a sky dive - think I would like to, but don't know if I would ever have the bottle! South America sounds amazing - always been on my list of places to go. Anyway hope you're still having a brilliant time. xxx

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 44; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb