Punta del Este and Sea Day #1


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
April 16th 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Siglio XX EstanciaSiglio XX EstanciaSiglio XX Estancia

Jay was too scared to go horse riding!
We had an awesome day Wednesday - went on a city tour of Punta del Este, saw the major sites including their lighthouse and beaches. Our tour concluded by spending about three hours at the Siglio XX Estancia. The ranch has some interesting history, the previous owners of the ranch collected antiques that were displayed there. The new owner’s hobby is alpacas, so there is a large alpaca farm there now. He is a retired manager of Gillette Mexico, Spain, Latin America, etc. Spends 6 months of the year in Miami and the other 6 at his estancia in Montevideo - that’s the life, huh?
Last night was our first dinner in one of the specialty restaurants here, Chops Steakhouse. Dinner was excellent, and a lot of food. We started with shrimp cocktail and french onion soup, then on to filet mignon with creamed spinach, sautéed wild mushrooms and mashed potatoes. Both Jay and I agreed they were the best steaks we’ve had in a long time. For dessert, we split a vanilla croissant pudding, again excellent. After dinner, we wandered a bit before settling in the casino and playing blackjack until 2 AM! All I can say is that we came out ahead by $12.00, which is a feat anywhere in the casino. It seems as if the slots don’t pay out as much as our local casinos. We both were $50 in and never really hit more than two or four credits at a time.
Today (Thursday) is our first full day at sea as we make our way from Punta del Este, Uruguay to Puerto Madryn, Argentina. Have really been relaxing a lot today. Went to a meet & mingle for cruisecritic.com at noon, then had a quick lunch at the Windjammer buffet. Jay went back to the cabin to relax, and I went up to the top outside deck. Watched dodgeball tournaments going on and folks climbing the rock wall for a few hours. Now, here I am. We have some spa appointments setup tonight - detoxifying wraps and such. Also, our first formal night tonight as well as a champagne reception with the captain, so we are getting all decked out! Will definitely post some photos of that and let you know how it went tomorrow. More from the Radiance later. Miss you all!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Alpaca FarmAlpaca Farm
Alpaca Farm

The look on Jay's face says it all.
Siglio XX EstanciaSiglio XX Estancia
Siglio XX Estancia

Going for a carriage ride


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb