Yerba Mate: That amazing South American Tea


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
May 6th 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Whisper Trail

Yerba Mate is an invigorating and nutrient rich tea from South America. It is broadly enjoyed in Uruguay, Paraguay, and some parts of Argentina and Brazil. I was first introduced to mate by high school Spanish teacher. I will be the first to admit that it is an acquired taste, but so are coffee, beer, tea, wine, and other beverages that so many people love.

Mate can be best described as a rich tea with a complex flavor that is earthy, bitter, and depending on the brand smoky. Mate is usually sold in 1 kilo (2.2 lb) bags. The two main varieties are Con and Sin Palo (with or without stems). The addition of stems mellows the bitterness some. There are too many brands to count, but my favorite are Canarias and Nobleza Gaucha.

Equipment

Mate is prepared in a gourd also called a mate or in a horn called a guampa. A hot infusion is usually refered to simply as mate. A cold infusion often including fruit juice is called Tereré. The infusion is filtered through a metal straw like device called a bombilla.

Mate Preparation

Mate is prepared by filling the gourd one half to three quarters of the way with ground yerba mate. With your hand over the mouth of the gourd it is shaken to bring the finer particles (powder) to the top. This helps prevent clogs later on. After shaking it the gourd is tilted to its side and your hand slowly removed. You want the yerba mate to stay stacked on the side of the gourd. It is difficult to do and some of the yerba mate will settle.

Next cool water will be gently poured in the empty side and allowed to absorb. The cool water is essential to prevent the mate from being scalded by hot water later on. The bombilla is now inserted in to the wet yerba mate with your thumb covering the mouth piece. Now water heated to just before boiling may be added and the mate enjoyed.

Tereré Preparation

Tereré is prepared in a similar fashion. It makes a wonderful hot weather drink. The yerba is packed in a similar fashion usually in a guampa. This time however the tea is infused with cold water that is often sweetened with fruit juice.

Whisper Trail

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb