Beach Holiday Town


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » East » Punta del Este
March 16th 2016
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -34.9751, -54.943

We dressed in shorts and shoes expecting to walk around a small town. We should have dressed for a day at the beach. We were tendered ashore today into Punta del Este around 9.30am. What a beautiful little town. Long sandy beaches stretch out along both sides of this penninsula. On one side, a calm protected bay where our ship lay docked, and the other an exposed surf beach heading out to the South Atlantic.

We wandered around the bay beach, alongside yachts, giant gulls and flying fish leaping out of the water. Even a giant sea wolf had arrived on shore as a welcoming party. Basically a large seal, with a huge impressive mane. It wasnt long before Id abandoned my shirt, and shoes for thongs and we were knee deep in the beach waters edge. It was already really hot and we were sweltering. Wading along in the water I spotted a little gummy shark swimming by whose fin remained above the surface waving as he passed by. After walking a few kilometres down the beach, overlooked by huge glass hotels, we decided to cut accross overland to the other side of the town to walk the surf beach oceanside. Theyre really beautiful beaches here, very soft sand and enticing spots to swim.

On this side, Punta del Estes famous artistic monument; five giant fingers emerging from the sand that are supposed to divide the two beach sides. We tried to get a couple snaps here avoiding swarms of people before heading into the city centre to find lunch. We found a quiet little place down a side street, not far from the beach just called "Fish and Chips". Here were enjoyed some freshly squeezed juices and shared an awesome seafood plate! Freshly fried fish, shrimp, calamari, potatoes and spinach dumplings. Amazing. We continued to walk along the shore, via a strange grave/memorial site, rockpools and fisherman before arriving back near the port. We spent our remaining Uruguay Pesos on gelatos and granitas before getting tendered back on a lifeboat to the cruise ship.

Weve walked around 15km today and Im a bit burnt on the back! Were just about to hit the pool for departure from Uruguay, and then perhaps the theatre for tonights show. We have a sailing day ahead before we get to Puerto Madryn in the north of Agentine Patagonia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb