Up the road less travelled in Punta del Diablo....


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » East » Punta del Diablo
April 16th 2007
Published: April 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Remind you of the Gold Coast?Remind you of the Gold Coast?Remind you of the Gold Coast?

Punta del Diablo beach and 'esplanade'
Though similar in name to Punta del Este, Punta del Diablo simply couldn't be more different. In the place of highrise apartment buildings were shacks and cabins, in the place of paved and guttered roads were sand and dirt tracks, and in the place of swanky boutiques were, well, nothing. If it wasn't for the group of Americans I hooked up with at the bus stop and lodged with, I wouldn't have had anyone to hang around with other than a few mangy stray dogs.

Though we were never planning on a lengthy stay in town, we changed accomodation after the first night - the frozen skinned hare in the freezer didn't exactly endear the first place to us so much.

I only spent 2 days/nights in town as the Americans were leaving on the third day, and sticking around while the weather wasn't so good would have been tantamount to self-imposed solitary confinement. I've heard that there's a really good vibe around town during holiday season but this was off season, and if there ain't no-one around, there ain't no vibe!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Admiring the viewAdmiring the view
Admiring the view

Looking back towards town from the rocks
A thriving metropolisA thriving metropolis
A thriving metropolis

Downtown Punta del Diablo
Still bustlingStill bustling
Still bustling

Looking up the main street from the beach
Clouds were the cue to leave townClouds were the cue to leave town
Clouds were the cue to leave town

HT taking in the sights on the rocks


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb