39 degrees latituide


Advertisement
Published: January 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

21st January 2012

Yesterday we docked in Puerto Madryn. Temperature was 17c (low 60’s fahrenheit) No tenders across choppy seas to the shore this time. We were able to walk off onto the quayside in summer clothes for a change. We opted not to do an organised trip but instead made our own way to the Ecocentro, as recommended by Rough Guide. Very good whale ‘experience’ – all about the Right Whales that breed in this area (last month unfortunately). Back in the town we again took RG’s advice for lunch in ‘Estela’ – very good paella – no English spoken, which is a recommendation in itself. We are struggling a bit with the Spanish but Brian’s Latin helps.



This is a fine looking seaside town, affluent and clean. Fishing and a large Aluminum plant are the main employers. Lots of great sculptures along the front. One day is not enough here. We need to come back and spend some time at the wild life sanctuary on the Peninsula Valdes. It’s where the famous filming of Orca’s (killer whales) coming out of the sea onto the beach chasing penguins was done. Some people from the ship took the long coach trip out to the beaches there so we will hear later what they saw.



A couple of days ago I took a tour of the kitchens on board: massive with 90 staff just in the kitchen alone. They service 4 dining areas, which are providing food all day long. There is one fine dining restaurant, which we sampled last night courtesy of Conference Plus.



Re eating, BJB and I have worked out where to find what and when. For example they put chocolates out in the lounge where the string quartet plays each evening so we make sure we pass that way even if we don’t stay to listen. There are 4 bars/ lounges with live music for all tastes. They don’t all provide chocolates though!

We should be in Montivideo in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1011.8kb