Buenos Aires - Montevideo


Advertisement
Published: April 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Part 3 – South America.......the journey continues........
Sorry for the delay we have been quite busy!
Before i start, it has been brought to my attention by my delightful brother in law (Little Shrimp aka Josh) that my blogs are long and rambling........therefore for this entry only – i have decided to do an executive summary which he will hopefully be able to stomach!

So...just for you Josh:
Made it to Buenos Aires this place is cool –eaten loads of steak, seen the sites, went to a tango show (Danny fell asleep)......then headed to Uraguay (via boat) had one day in Colonia (had a long, boozy lunch) this place is really pretty, then headed to Montevideo (capital)had to stay a few extra days as no buses out – but this worked out – hired a bike one afternoon (it rained – but was fun!) then last night went to a football match (Copa de Libertadores) was a real experience!!! Flares ...fireworks very different to Old Trafford!
Over and out! (Josh hope you short term attention span is still reading at this point! You can now relax and go back to your taxing uni life........that will be two beers then!)

Ok...for those of you who want a bit more detail (see below):
We had a great flight from South Africa – the plane was practically empty so we had 4 seats each and slept.. we arrived fresh in Buenos Aires......we were staying right next to Eva Peron’s grave…Danny didn’t get bored of saying that we were in the dead centre of BA…..no comment (but I have to live with this kind of humour 24-7). My Mum and Dad put us up in a really nice hotel…..thanks guys it was ace! Had a quiet first evening to save our energy for the next day of sight seeing…..
We did a full day of sight seeing – check out the pics (NB eva peron’s grave is tiny! Saw the balcony, oblisque..and much more – you can tell we are totally cultured individuals )–this place is very European – had a nice lunch (the steak here really is amazing). I then decided I needed my hair-highlighting – a good chance to practice my Spanish………the women in the hairdressers loved me – and I was asked to comment on the royal wedding by 4 different women! Hair looks nice you will be pleased to learn!
We decided to head out to another steak house for dinner and attempted to be young and hip and end up at a club………..steak was first rate…….then headed to Liquid…..well free pouring vodka was interesting…..however, although we were told that clubs get busy at 2 and stay open unitl 8 am the next morning – well we stayed til 2.30…. not cool!
Next day- we walked (2 hours) to San Telmo to see an antiques fair – it was very chilled we even took in a café on the cobbled streets and saw a street tango display – very cool.
We then had just a bit more steak and red wine (awesome) (note to self – Chorizo is S America is steak not spicy sausage!). Then we headed out to a tango show……Danny is claiming jet lag and a late night before – but however he plays it..he fell asleep for at least 10 mins of it!! Useless! I really enjoyed it….the dancing was fab and don’t cry for me argentina…and a huge flag coming down at the end, and glitter was totally understated…ummm!!!

Next day, despite no plans to head to Uraguay when we were back home , we thought..why not!

We got a ferry over to Colonia – which was a really pretty village….all streets lined with trees, cute little river side centre…we stopped had a long lunch, then had a long sleep…had planned to head back to town for tea, - but I guess danny’s jet lag claim may have had some validity…didn’t stop me telling him off tho!
We then headed to Montevideo for a few days……….had to stay a little longer than planned because of the bus timetable but the place was quite nice…..there is an amazing food market where they do traditional bbqs…yum and we hired a bike yesterday - unfortunately it rained all day….but was quite fun….felt very British out in the wet!!!

Oh and did I mention that we are now official travelers as we stayed in a dorm room – only cos there were no privates left – but we survived – in fact Danny complained cos one of the guys snored!!!!! He should try and live with himself!!!!
So we were having dinner in the hostel – and were planning our next trip and were discussing watching an Argentinean football match – when an english guy suggested we come with him……well we ended up after a bus ride, at the statdum to watch a Copa De Libertadore (equal to champions league – I am told!) anyhow football not that great…..Nacional 0 v America 0 but it was a brilliant atmosphere – when weren’t scared that a firework was gonna hit us….check out the pics.. at different points you couldn’t even see the pitch for all the smoke!
So now we are getting a bus to Rosario, back in Argentina. Adios…



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



22nd April 2011

Happy Easter!
Hope the bunny makes it over to South America! Xxxxx ps will expect demonstration of tango on wedding dance floor. X

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb