Montevideo and Colonia


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After my fleeting dash from Punte del Este I arrived in Montevideo at 10pm and went straight to the Red Hostel after a subway dinner. Was asleep within seconds and slept through until 10am, having no watch helps with endless sleeping.
Had a walk around town and discovered there was nothing to do within minutes, so pottered around the shops and hostel all afternoon. The disaster, the Aussies and Brits from Punte del Este checked in!! Uh oh, here we go again...
Met a couple of Brits (Jody and Steve) in the hostel who knew the places to hang out in the evening and had even extended their stay for it! So after some beer, wine and rum while watching Team America we headed out, about midnight. Went straight to the best bar "Tres Perros" (3 dogs), the boys were pleased as they got in straight away with me in the group. The previous night they had been turned away for no apparent reason. The drinks tasted like juice, but were clearly not as the barman was laughing at me after 3. 3 more Brits turned up from the Punte del Este hostel and tried pulling every Uruguayan girl in the place! After a few hours they actually succeeded, or so they thought so those girls persuaded us to move to the old town for more drinks, somehow lost Jody and Steve in the commotion so ended up with the 3 Brits and 4 Uruguayan girls.
As soon as we got to the old town the boys were ignored and all 4 girls crowded around me asking me my taste in boys so they could set me up! Then they took us to the bar with the best blokes... Not that great! They even tried to call their mate to get him to come and meet me, crazy behaviour. Jody and Steve had had a similar experience the night before with blokes trying to find them girls, with no luck of course.
At some unknown hour we were all in the girl´s Beetle, 6 in the back and I had no idea where the boys had agreed to go. We ended up out in the suburbs at the bloke´s house they had tried to call! He had a great games room with bar, pool table and table tennis. But after what seemed like 10mins we got bored of no food or
Cheesecake RecordsCheesecake RecordsCheesecake Records

Cheesecake, Booze and odd music on the street...
drink and the fact that I was not interested in the random bloke so left. The girls tried to get me to stay but no way! It was light outside which gave us a bit of a shock and the taxi back took forever.
Got to the hostel at 7am and went straight back to the rum stash, but got sent to the roof as breakfast was about to be served and the hostel man didn´t like us disturbing the non-drunks...
Freezing on the roof so sat under the sofa rain cover for 3 hours drinking rum and eating hot dogs. Finally had to pass out at 10am so no checking out for me.
Surfaced at 8pm, just in time for the Aussies to drag me back onto the booze. After an all you can eat chinese we went to the classy area of the old town. Cheesecake Records, wierdest bar ever. Then onto the common part of the old town. Jody and Steve were dying to get back to Tres Perros so I got a taxi with them but managed to jump out at the hostel! 3am was enough for me. They didn´t manage to get in without me
Cuidad ViejoCuidad ViejoCuidad Viejo

Here´s the Aussies again!
though, ha ha!
Dragged myself out of bed at 9 to get the bus to Colonia, but had just missed it. While waiting at the platform, the Aussies turned up, Ahhhh, no escape again.
Arrived in Colonia early afternoon, but as it was Sunday, all the boats to Argentina were full!! Got put on the stand by list though. Walked around the old port town all afternoon, after persuading the bus station cleaner to take my backpack. Beautiful town with great views and little cobbled streets.
Didn´t manage to get on the boat so found the Aussies in the only hostel in town and went out for a crazy night in a golf cart... My advice is do not drive them on beaches or up steep hill banks!
Escaped early next morning on the 9.15 boat to Buenos Aires.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ColoniaColonia
Colonia

Colonia Lighthouse
Golf CartGolf Cart
Golf Cart

Stuck on the beach!!


Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb