Montevideo, Uruguay


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=CYXs-KKt2mI]Our first port came on day two of the cruise in Montevideo, Uruguay. It was a tight squeeze for our large ship at the small pier. It was a beautiful warm sunny day. Montevideo is the largest city, the capital and chief port of Uruguay with a population around 1.3 million. The epicenter of Montevideo's cultural “life” is located in the so-called Old City, a place where the past and the present coexist among historical buildings, bookstores and the busy city life. The City of Montevideo is a city with tree covered avenues, quiet neighborhood streets and several squares and parks.

I took a morning tour of the city. We stopped at Plaza Independencia, the Legislative Palace, the Stagecoach Monument, the soccer stadium and Plaza de la Armada (a memorial to the Navy) where we got a nice view of the Río de la Plata. It was a nice half four hour tour of the city. After the tour ended I set out on my own. Our ship docked in the Old City, I walked up through that area and over to the Rio de la Plata on the other side. I then walked through the center of the city, back around Plaza Independencia, the main square in town. I also visited Constitución Square and the Metropolitan Basilica. I walked around as much as I could before having to be back on board around 6:00. Shortly there after we set sail for the Falkland Islands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb