Buque'in it to Uruguay


Advertisement
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Going to Uruguay via Buquebus, well the experience was not exactly what we had envisioned. We called to confirm our tickets, which they did, however upon arrival we were informed that when we called earlier, the ticket agent booked us a duplicate sets of tickets, therefore she cancelled both. Ahhhh! This is where taking some Spanish lessons prior to travelling would have been a smart thing to do.

We managed to get the Montevideo to Buenos Aires booked, which we attempted to explain in sign language that we need to get there, in order to come back. They just wouldn't book us a ticket to get to Montevideo. Overall, it took us 2 hours to rebook the tickets because the agents had no idea what we were talking about since we didn't speak Spanish. They thought we were totally nutters.

When someone asks why we have a Canadian flag on our baggage?? Well, it comes in handy, in the line-up I met a very nice gentleman from Quebec, and he spoke English & Spanish very well, I was desperate to use his language skills if necessary...but hubby Galib saved the day and he finally got our return tickets booked. After all of that, we were both scared to board the ferry. But we did, and it took about 45 minutes on the ferry, then we waited in the scorching heat for the bus to transport us another 2 hours to Montevideo with intermittent air conditioning. The bus driver was saving on fuel consumption.

Hey, we can say we've seen it, we got a new stamp in our passport and I don't think we'll be going back. There wasn't much to do, it was so quiet. Where are the peeps??? No one was out at night. Restaurants were empty. Montevideo was a ghost town. The thought of being the only 2 people eating at a restaurant with 8 wait staff hovering over you is weird.

We did stroll the empty streets, noticing the granite driveways and apartment building facades. We also got a bit of a tan, spending some down time reading on the beach. The Sheraton Hotel Pool was refreshing and there was a mall next door. Overall, it was relaxing. The pics turned out lovely too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Cuarto De Libre Con QuesoCuarto De Libre Con Queso
Cuarto De Libre Con Queso

Quarter Pounder with Cheese
Old PeugeotOld Peugeot
Old Peugeot

Cool cars line the streets in Montevideo
Interesting name for a storeInteresting name for a store
Interesting name for a store

I didn't purchase anything there


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2005s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb