Montevideo, Uruguay


Advertisement
Published: January 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
I just realized today that the Buenos Aires blog was not printed. I did it several days ago before we got on the ship. We left the port on Sunday and sailed overnight to Montevideo. It seemed like a smaller version of Buenos Aires. It also had lots of old colonial style Spanish buildings and plazas with statues, fountains, vendors, etc. When we went to the Plaza Constitution, they were having something like a flea market. They had many very old things like jewelry, tools, silver, etc. for sale. One vendor had a diplomat´s collection of pins for sale. Many were beautiful Limoges and were signed, but were expensive. This city did not seem quite as prosperous as Buenos Aires. We did find the people to be
friendly, and we didn´t feel threatened.
Water on the cruise ship is $4.50 US a bottle. Booze is extremely high. A smoothie cost $8.95 and most other drinks are high too. I have been buying water in the ports and carrying it back on board. They do serve you coffee, water, and tea at your meals.
Today, we have sailed into Puerto Madryn, a small city on the Argentine coast. We have been able to walk into the town. We were expecting the small towns at the ports but so far they have been large. Our next stop will be in the Falkland Islands. Only 1200 people live at Port Stanley. We have more passengers than that on the boat. We have met some very interesting people since boarding. One Englishman told me that he was scheduled to sing at Carnegie Hall next September with his local choir. A lady that I had breakfast with this morning explained that her daughter went to Africa with the Peace Corps. Now, she is head of a foundation that is fighting for women´s rights in Sudan. Everybody that we have met has taken many cruises--some up to 100. One couple told us that they were getting off of this cruise and almost immediately getting on a Super Bowl cruise. The cruise is nice but I don´t ever have to get on another one. The boat is big, comfortable, and has many amenities. We are getting to cover a lot of area while traveling this way.
I am having trouble checking e-mail. I waited 10 minutes on this computer for it to load and it didn´t. I apologize for not replying if you have written me.
Take care,
E

Advertisement



Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb