Four Sunbathing Hot Spots AroundSalcombe


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

South Devon gets some of the best weather in the UK, with the summer months often approaching Mediterranean levels of sunshine and temperature. So if you’re a sun worshipper a summer holiday to Salcombe offers up some incredible opportunities to bronze yourself on the beach.

Salcombe and the surrounding South Devon area feature a number of award-winning beaches prized for the cleanliness of their sand and waters as well as their facilities. These are four sunbathing hotspots to unfurl your towel on this summer.

1. South Sands. This beautiful sandy cove lies at the mouth of the Salcombe estuary. South Sands won the coveted Blue Flag award this year, which means it meets the strictest standards for quality. The beautiful soft sand is perfect for lounging on and soaking up the sun and because it’s nestled in a cove it’s sheltered from any coastal winds making it a real heat trap. A small ferry runs between the beach and Salcombe so you can explore the town and grab a spot of lunch.

2. Bigbury-on-Sea. This is one of South Devon’s most iconic beaches thanks to the enigmatic Burgh Island which can be reached by foot when the tide is out. It’s just a short drive from Salcombe and an ideal beach for a whole day of sun-soaking. A great swathe of sand means there’s plenty of space, although it can get crowded in the peak season because it’s so popular. Kids can explore rock pools, build sandcastles and paddle in the warm waters and nearby you’ve got the Venus Café serving up great food all day.

3. Thurlestone Sands.If you’d like a quieter day at the beach then Thurlestone Sands should be at the top of your list. This is an old fashioned beach with none of the frills of the tourist traps. What you get is unspoilt countryside, a sandy beach and nice shallow water that’s perfect for a paddle or quick dip. There are lifeguards on duty during the summer and if you need facilities the nearby South Milton beach has a café and toilets. Thurlestone is also dog-friendly year round so if Fido wants to get some sun you can bring him along.

4. East Portlemouth.Situated just opposite Salcombe, East Portlemouth is a beautiful beach hiding in plain sight. There are three distinct beaches here, but they all offer shallow clean water, so they’re great for kids. There are toilets on hand plus a Venus Café and beach shop. This is another dog-friendly beach even at the height of summer. What’s wonderful about East Portlemouth is its proximity to Salcombe but its ability to remain a quieter beach, giving you space and time to work on that tan. http://www.coastandcountry.co.uk/salcombe/

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb