Peru wrap up: thoughts and observations


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
October 7th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When I initially began planning this trip I didn't expect to spend so much time in Peru, but it is an amazing country and I easily could have spent another month here.

One of the most surprising things was the changes in climate. Apparently Peru has 28 and the world's 32 climates. I didn't expect to be in my summer clothes one day, then 4 hours south pull out the long johns.

Every city in Peru has a Plaza de Armas, which is the main square. When all else fails, ask where the Plaza de Armas is - everything you need is within a few blocks.

Apparently Peruvians are not that creative, they name several streets the same name, which is very confusing for tourists (and taxi drivers). It's always wise to know the neighborhood and cross streets.

There are hundreds of stray dogs in Peruvian cities, they are mangey, they roam the streets undeterred by traffic or humans YET you rarely ever see dog poop, ever. It is the strangest thing.

The sewage systems aren't so great in South America so you can't put any toilet paper in the toilets. Which is often not an issue because there is rarely toilet paper to be found in the bathrooms...

Local buses will cram more people than you thought humanly possible into the vehicle - I advise only using the local buses on shorter journeys.

On overnight buses especially, do not book your seat near the bathroom... ick.

Visa is the most accepted credit card.

Scrunchies (hair ties) are very popular in Peru.





On to Bolivia!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb