Lima, Cusco & Manu Jungle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
August 16th 2010
Published: August 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Rio to Lima which was really just a stop off point before heading onto Cusco. We were pleasantly surprised with Lima though. We just stayed in the touristy area of Miraflores and it was really nice. We went to visit some Inca ruins which was interesting and walked along the cliff looking out onto the Pacific Ocean which was also really nice.

Then onto Cusco we flew and the first thing that hit us was the lack of oxygen.... Cusco is at approx 3300m above sea level which is a big shock after flying in from Lima. And just to add to it, we had a hell of a climb up to our hostel. Aw well, its a good way to aclimatize!
We had heard so much about Cusco before arriving here and we're glad to say we weren't one bit disappointed.....Its a realy nice city in the middle of the Andes with a huge Inca Empire history. This was our base for the next 2-3 weeks.

We did some volunteer work in a disadvantaged school on the outskirts of Cusco, where we did an art lesson and just played some games. It was quite interesting working with these children and to see how happy they were to see us coming. Not sure if Peter is converted to teaching yet though!

We just relaxed then for a couple of days before setting off on our 4 day trek of Manu jungle. Manu Jungle is east of Cusco close to the Brazilian border and 4.6 million acres in size. The 4 days were an experience to say the least. There was just the 2 of us along with our guide, the cook, the driver and his wife for the trip!! Unfortunately the tour company we used were not great so our 10 hour trip to the jungle wasnt very enjoyable! Driving along dusty roads with the windows down because the air con wasnt working meant we ended up with an inch thick of dust all over us and a good bit inhaled too! Anyway, for the next 4 days, we saw lots of birds, very few mammals, lived with native jungle men, ate lots and I suppose we got a real taste of what living in the jungle was like. It's such a strange existence in there but yet it seems to be such a happy one judging by the natives. They are so friendly and content in their way of life. On the first day, we just saw a few birds and then got to stay at a really nice lodge that night which had a shower! At 5am the next morning we went to see the "Cock of the Rock" (Peruvian national bird). We then continued deeper into the jungle and went down the Madre de Dios river to our base with the natives! We went for a few walks that evening and a bit of rafting where we got to see more birds and a capybara which is the largest member of the rodent family. The next day, we got up bright and early to go see some parrots and then some monkeys but unfortunately didnt get to see any monkeys. We had to make our own fun by cutting down banana trees! That evening we went for a walk to see the biggest tree in the jungle where Peter did a bit of auditioning for the jungle book! We had a night-walk that night to see some Caimans but unfortunately didnt get to see any. Aw well, it was interesting walking through the jungle in pitch dark! We returned to Cusco the next day and luckily we got to see some monkeys just as we were leaving.
Overall it was an OK tour but if we were doing it again, we would go to a jungle with more mammals and use a better tour company!

We returned to Cusco then where we had a few days to spare before going on the Inca Trail. Time to stock up on a few wooly clothes from the inca markets for the cold nights ahead!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Anyone for a banana?Anyone for a banana?
Anyone for a banana?

It took me a while to chop down that tree!
Night walk to see caimans....Night walk to see caimans....
Night walk to see caimans....

...but we didnt see any!!


25th August 2010

Shorty
Colette, Hilarious, I have never seen someone as short as the Queuchuan ladies!! You are the same height!! Stuart and I are roaring laughing here...
25th August 2010

Aw ur pictures remind me of my trip so much. Cant believe its three years ago! Hope u are both keeping well:) Looking forward to the Inca trail blog

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb