Day 6 & 7 - Colca Canyon with a Quick Dash to Puno!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
May 12th 2008
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Colca Canyon!The Colca Canyon!The Colca Canyon!

The deepest canyon in the world! Over 3000 m deep.
We woke at 5am today!! to visit Colca Canyon and spot Condors 😊 Breakfast in the common room of the hotel was lovely and despite having to wake at 5am we were in great form thanks to a wonderful nights sleep in our first Peruvian double bed 😊 We arrived in Colca Canyon around 8am and spotted the Condors immediately. They were amazing.... absolutely huge and although we took lots of photos Paul managed to take an amazing one while the bird was soaring above us.

After an hour of so of admiring the condors, we went on a 1-hour hike across the canyon in an attempt to get used to hiking at this altitude (our pre-Inca hike training!!). The walk was really pleasant and the views of the canyon were breathtaking. On the way bus back to the hotel we stopped in a small village for a buffet lunch. Had Alpaca kebabs which was gorgeous and some amazing guacamole. The avocados in Peru are soooooo tasty and they are HUGE compared to the ones we get back home.

When we got back on the bus after lunch, Manny, our tour leader, broke the news that a strike was
So romantic!So romantic!So romantic!

The beginning of the Colca Canyan
due to take place in Peru later that day and that we would have to head to Puno early that evening if we wanted to stay on track with the tour. So off we went in our fab bus (equipped with air conditioning and a toilet!!) and watched the film "knocked up" on the way 😊

We arrived to our temporary hotel in Puno pretty late, around 9pm, freshened up quickly and the gang of us headed out for a night on the town. Manny brought us to a cool Peruvian club where we played lots of drinking games and inevitably danced til the wee hours of the morning. The staff actually fell asleep while waiting for us to finish our drinking/dancing!

-- By Karen


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

A room with a viewA room with a view
A room with a view

The view from the hotel in Colca Canyan
The Hotel ownerThe Hotel owner
The Hotel owner

Our hotel owner in Colca wearing typical Peruivian clothes.
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Oh its a bird!Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Oh its a bird!
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Oh its a bird!

The mighty Condor passes 10 feet over head. The largest glider in the world!
Don't let go Emma!!Don't let go Emma!!
Don't let go Emma!!

Nearly lost a group member to Colca. Try explain that Manny!
Leo!Leo!
Leo!

Our guide for Colca Canyon


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb