Day at the beach


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Tumbes » Punta Sal
May 17th 2007
Published: May 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the way to Punta Sal we stopped at the Sapin museum. It contained all the artifacts found at an intact tomb. Grave robbers had already got to others in the same area. It was a fairly good museum in terms of content. Great pottery and gold and displays of how they were found in the grave, but nothing in english and it was really dark which made us feel dizzy and headachy. Not that fantastic.

We arrived quite late in Punta Sal. While the others put up the tents on the beach with the crabs we upgraded to a second floor room overlooking the beach. The restaurant was on the sand. It was lovely to eat and drink lots of beer with your bare feet buried in the sand. Only the occasional crab tickled your feet. Down by the water at night you could see fluorescent organisms in the surf. They showed up in your footprints as you walked on the wet sand.

We had a full day at the beach. Our day started with a walk. There were a few people fishing and lots of crabs. Pieter chased a crab until he got so exhausted and
Punta SalPunta SalPunta Sal

Hotel at the beach. Our tents in the forground
stopped and showed Pieter his claws. He got very defensive. We also had a big brown dog come with us all the way. He didnĀ“t want to be patted, he just wanted to come for a walk.

Rae went for a swim. The water was lovely and you could see right to the bottom. There were fishes and someone spotted a stingray. For lunch we went to the next village north. We went with Jacqui and Karin, taking a tuktuk. That was fun on a main road with big beer trucks driving up your backside. Not much of a town, it was just some houses lining the road and the beach and a pier. Joined by Mark who had walked for over an hour to get to the town via the beach, we found a restaurant overlooking the pier. Not much left on the menu but Rae and Karin were happy they could try cerviche, which is raw marinated fish. It was very nice.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Punta SalPunta Sal
Punta Sal

The crab that Pieter chased until he was so tired he was happy to pose for a photo
Punta SalPunta Sal
Punta Sal

Boats in the town up the beach from Punta Sal


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb