TRUJILLO: The Worlds Biggest Mud City


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
October 21st 2008
Published: November 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

HuanchacoHuanchacoHuanchaco

Yes, we still have a love of our little slices of Pacific reunion.
The Pacific coastal town of Trujillo was a pleasant surprise. Blessed with the presence of strong civilisations including the Chimu and Moche, which morphed into Incan dominance, it sports the fantastically impressive pyramids of the Huacas del Sol y de la Luna (Temples of Sun and Moon). It then became a major colonial centre. The impressive city did well from its strategic location - so well it expanded over the crumbling muddy remains of the largest adobe city the world has known.

So climbing temples, marvelling at the most exquisite relief artwork on the facades of the pyramids, visiting decayed, restored, and reconstructed parts of the massive Chimu capital of Chan Chan kept us well impressed (again) with the people of this land gone by.

As beautiful as the colonial beauty of modern Trujillo is, it was also nice to spend two days out at the beachside community of Huanchaco. Although not a good swimming beach, the surfers were loving it, and just being by the beach again was a pleasure. In fact, so nice that it was a shame to need this precious time back in the city to sort out how we were going to get ourselves
Still kicking with colourStill kicking with colourStill kicking with colour

These designs were revealed in a series of ´archaologists good days´ at the office.
up to Central America for our next country of adventure.

But fear not, after a marathon 7.5 hours of negotiation with a travel agency and airline booking office, spread over two days (because we ran out of daylight) we were armed with two domestic and two international flights to close our Peruvian chapter in favour of Cuba and Mexico. Easy!? (Traveller note - we would advise using a travel agency in your home country).

But at least we got to meet the most delightful cab driver in the process - Senor Schtoll. Of strong German naming, he is a descendant of a number of German folk residing in Peru - and many seemed to have travelled to this continent in the mid part of the 20th century for some reason. This retired policeman had survived the Peruvian terrorism of the 1980´s while serving, and has the scars from a bomb blast to show for it. Fortunately it had no lasting effect on his exuberant personality.

Gracias Trujillo. Y adios.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

AltitudeAltitude
Altitude

The hairy descent down to the coast lost us 3 vertical kilometres.
So much left unsaidSo much left unsaid
So much left unsaid

The sandy space in between the two temples is a rich feast waiting to be uncovered in the years to come.
Stunning excavationsStunning excavations
Stunning excavations

The detail found carefully buried as the next level of the Sun Temple pyramid was constructed was a time capsule, and such a find.
RestorationRestoration
Restoration

These weathered facades are still beautiful in their decay.
OriginalsOriginals
Originals

These mud bricks were used in the construction of the two temples. Families were required to produce a certain number of bricks, and the identifying symbols allowed them to measure their quota.
ReinforcementsReinforcements
Reinforcements

The 2008 branding leaves no doubt these reinforcements are there to assist the restoration to the original builders architectural plans, and not to be confused at a later date.
Weird DogWeird Dog
Weird Dog

Even the guide admitted these dogs were ugly. Many were killed and all were slightly cross bred. But this dogs heritage dates back to the incas, and well before. There is an attempt to reestablish the bloodline, and educate people that they are a heritage to be proud of.
Chan Chan templeChan Chan temple
Chan Chan temple

These carefully re-created walls and reliefs are their best effort at what was a palace in this incredible adobe city of the Chimu.
Palace entrancePalace entrance
Palace entrance

With the imminent arrival of the mighty Incan army, the Chimu faced these alcoves off with mud, concealing their religiously precious contents. It was only found again in the last century.
Pretty mudPretty mud
Pretty mud

The level of craftmanship over the materials at hand is always impressive.
Camo touristCamo tourist
Camo tourist

The cameleonic talents of Benj continue to amaze. Armed with two pairs of trous for 1 year, 50% of the time he looks a bit like this.
"Come on baby, light my ... fireaaar""Come on baby, light my ... fireaaar"
"Come on baby, light my ... fireaaar"

This was a more unusual artistic exhibit, as the two dancers took turns at lighting each others rear appendage of paper whilst dancing in gyrating fashion.
Local boatLocal boat
Local boat

These tend to be parked on the beach, as the phenomenon of the surfboard is king in this surfy hangout place. A pity, because you could hang anything you liked off this stable baby.
Breaking from coverBreaking from cover
Breaking from cover

This permanent resident of the hostel knew when it was breakfast time, and he was on a mission - it just took him a while to get there.
Eyes RIGHTEyes RIGHT
Eyes RIGHT

These soldiers salute the Mayor at the weekly flag raising ceremony in the Main Plaza.
DashingDashing
Dashing

The buildings and the people made a fantastic spectacle of pride in their city. Beautiful to see.
"I really like the way their skirts sit""I really like the way their skirts sit"
"I really like the way their skirts sit"

These two had the pride of place at the head of their beauty contest contingent in the parade.
Military precisionMilitary precision
Military precision

Getting kids to focus is pretty hard at the best of times, but this flag raising business is serious stuff. Love the gloves - we were sweating in T-shirts.
Animalistic ChristianityAnimalistic Christianity
Animalistic Christianity

Issuing forth from the Cathedral, this parade was lead by wildly girating, animal mask clad menfolk, and followed up by a more solemn virgin on a platter. It was a beautiful example of the fusion of religion that has occured here.
Stunning buildingsStunning buildings
Stunning buildings

We still get a big kick out of some of the buildings, and especially entraceways.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb