Puno and Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
July 31st 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Festival dayFestival dayFestival day

Local dancing, men and women, with the island elders sitting high up giving their verdict on the dancing.
Higher still than Arequipa is the city of Puno, which sits beside the massive sea-like Lake Titicaca. The worlds largest high altitude lake really feels like a sea when you´re on it, you can´t see the other side of the lake which crosses a national boundary into Bolivia.

The main tourist spots on the lake are the Uros floating reed islands which sit in the large bay near Puno, about an hours boat jouney away. Pretty mcuh just for the tourists now, we were given a short talk about the Islands by the President and then encouraged to buy souvenirs from the stalls nearby.

Of much more interest was the permanent island of Taquile, where many people don´t speak Spanish at all but the language of the Incas, Quechua. Everyone wears variations of the traditional dress here and we were also lucky enough to arrive on the island´s big festival day, a really bright and colourful sight with lots of local dancing. After some excellent trout for lunch (caught fresh from the lake no doubt!) we headed back the three and a half hour journey to Puno and our everpresent hard hostel beds!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Lake TiticacaLake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca

In the morning, approaching Taquile.
Uros reed islandsUros reed islands
Uros reed islands

The president, showing us the depth of the lake at this point using rope.
Souvenirs for saleSouvenirs for sale
Souvenirs for sale

It has the president´s recommendation!
Children on TaquileChildren on Taquile
Children on Taquile

The hat´s signify marital status. If you have a white ´sock´ on the end it means you are single. If its red, you´re married. Simple really, and much better than the custom up north near Huaraz where if you fancy someone you throw stones at them. I kid you not!


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb