Puno


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Puno
June 28th 2011
Published: June 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,
Writing now from Puno. Travelled by bus from Cusco to this higher altitude city our last stop in Peru. I have loved Peru the food is brilliant, people are nice and plenty of cultural activities to do here. My favourite foods would have to be Ceviche and a yellow potato dish that has either chicken or tuna, mayo and advocado in it and us served in a roll sliced cold. YUMMY.
Puno is not only high altitude but it has been very cold with a bitter wind blowing through us rather than around. We went by trickshaw this morning to docks on Lake Titicaca and out by boat to floating reed islands. It is amazing how these communities live on these floating islands made up of reeds only 2m deep. Got a gorgeous picture, NOT, of me in a traditional costume one of the ladies put me in for a photo. I didn´t want to but felt obliged to so I could give her money for photo as I really didnt want to buy any of the handicrafts from her. We were lucky to get here tp Puno as the farmers have had the roads and last week airport blocked for the last four or so weeks striking against the government and a mining contract they weren´t happy about. Up until the day before we were going to La Paz earlier as the tour agency was not going to take any chances with our safety. Felt happy about that. It's not worth getting into trouble.
Spent teh afternoon on a tour out to a pre incan burial site that was special but again the cold nearly did me in as we trekked up the hill against the wind about 1km to get to it.
Off tomorrow to La Paz by bus. Last stop before we head home. LA paz is even higher again. Everyone is taking it easy walking as the breath gets short very quickly. One of our couples had to leave tour in Cusco to get down in altitude rather than come with us on this part of the journey due to altitude sickness. Most of us are mainly suffering mild symptoms at times only. We all thought once we got back from trek our altitude issues would be over. Apparently not. The Doctor advised the guy who had to leave he should have taken the Diamox from the start. Most people from home told us only if you have to. If he had taken it he would still be with us now. Itr's worth thinking about if you are going to high altitude destination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb