June 25-28 Lima, Arequipa and Puno


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Puno
June 28th 2009
Published: June 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The beach near barrancoThe beach near barrancoThe beach near barranco

the beginning of our walk
Hello Everyone from Tessa:

Sorry about the break in writing but the internet at our hostel in Arequipa was always being used by someone else and it takes a long time to upload the photos so we haven´t been able to update regularly.

On our last day in Lima. We walked down the Pacific Coastline from Barranco to Miraflores. Walking the waves, which were very cold, we were able to watch the local surfers and check out all the rocks and shells on the beach with Anna and Justine. We made it back to our hostel at about 3:00 and caught the bus to Arequipa. A 17 hours long bus. However, Cruz Del Sur did not disappoint! We upgraded our tickets to the Cruzero Suite and were definitely grateful for it. The seat reclined almost entirely, 2 movies were shown and we received a delicious dinner of arroz con pollo! Plus we got a pillow and blanket and toothbrush kit. I imagine that was what flying was like in the 1960s. Anyway, I slept very soundly (thank you dramamine). Devin on the other hand was wide awake. Apparently we were taking some of the turns on the bus a little to close for her liking.

When we arrived in Arequipa we had no trouble getting the Arequipay Backpackers Inn. Our room was spartan but private with only three beds. What was weird though was that you couldn´t flush the toilet paper. So you have a garbage can full of dirty toilet paper - ewww-. After a quick nap we went out to explore the city. The Plaza de Armas was beautiful. We visited La Caterdal in the Plaza and toured the Monesterio De Santa Catalina. Oh and I found a radio shack and bought a charger for my phone! The Monestario de Santa Catalina was amazing and the colors were super vibrant. Our guide was very detailed in her desciptions of the nuns lives. Turns out the first daughter was expected to marry and the second daughter was expected to join the religious order (sorry Keely). Additional daughter could do either depending on the parents wishes.

Yesterday, however was awful. Jack and I were totally sick. Must have had some bad food or something. We spent the whole day sleeping and going to the bathroom. We mustered our strength to walk to the "farmacia" and bought lots of powerade and pepto bismal, which I promptly threw up. The other bad part was that we have booked a tour to whitewater rafting that day and had to cancel but since we didn´t cancel the night before we had to pay for it. So sad. Devin basically just read in the courtyard all day while Jack and I got sick. She was perfectly fine. Around 8 pm I started to feel better so I made arrangements for the upcoming days. Jack and I mingled and watched the Day the Earth Stood Still with some of the other guests and played with the hostel´s cat.

The cities so far have all been super polluted and when we blow our noses the boogers are blackish and red. Gross. We all have the sniffles. And times seems to stand still here. We are in bed by 9ish every night and are totally exhausted. Also since its their winter and we are in the southern hemisphere it gets dark at like 5 pm.

There are a ton of stray dogs and cats everywhere. At first it was kinds of sad but now I notice they seems pretty well fed and happy. They mostly stay out of the streets and when cars beep at them, they moved. Also they are all pretty disinterested in humans.

So today we got on the bus for Puno pretty much feeling better. Again we love Cruz Del Sur! We arrived in Puno around 3:00. We exchanged our return tickets to Arequipa for tickets for tickets from Cusco to Lima now that the street blcokades are over and will buy tickets to bus to cusco on the 30th. We walked down to the tourist section of Puno and bought some Alpaca wool hats and gloves since it is VERY cold here at night and are now chilling at the hostel. Devin is reading and Jack is playing video games. So far we are very pleased with our accomodations. Tomorrow we are taking a boat out to Lake Titicaca and checking out the reed islands of Taquile and Uros.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



30th June 2009

I feel like I am there!
Hi you guys I see that you are having a great time. I wish I were there but since I have been tracking you guys I feel like I almost am. Tessa you look so cute in these pictures. Devin you are rocking out those braids. And Mr Jack looks like a pimp with all these ladies in his arms. I can not wait to hear everything when you get back. Have fun be safe and come home with lots of pictures!!!! Love ya Sheri
30th June 2009

Alpaca Hats
Hi Tessa! KaeLyn shared your travel blogsite link with me! What a fabulous time it sounds like you're having in Peru. Reading this post, I had to tell you that my sister-in-law raises Alpacas just a few miles from my house in CNY! Love that wool! Did you know it is easily washable? Take care and see you in DC! Betty

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb