Earning our keep


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
June 6th 2016
Published: July 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We were due to wake up at 7 however our home stay mumma only woke us at 720. Our guide said we would help make breakfast but ours was already prepared. It was like a fried bread/tortilla thing. They gave me 6 pieces. So nice but I struggled to finish 3. I feel so bad not finishing all the food they are giving me.



Following breakfast we did some house chores like washing up for mumma then papa came and took us sheep herding. He had done most of it we just had to catch them in the final field. Each sheep had rope attached to them so we had to catch 2 at a time and tether them together in various parts of the field. We also peeled potatoes by hand picking the skin but we had no idea what we were doing. The potatoes were really tiny and some too dried to peel. They were saying yes to peeling some and no to peeling others and I think we were more of a hindrance than a help as none of us could tell which potatoes were yes or no ones.



Next we went to a field and dug up potatoes. Hard work in the altitude. I think my dreams of being farmer hit a hard reality today. It was tough.



We were served soups and grilled cheese vegetables and several types of potatoes for lunch. Again a huge struggle to get through.



After lunch we went back to the dock and said goodbye to everyone. Back at Puno we checked into our hotel and had a free afternoon. We were advised to buy ourselves lunch and snacks for our journey to Cusco tomorrow. I went for a walk and found a supermarket and loaded up on junk food. We met Andreas and he took us to another restaurant with dancers. He promised this time we would not be pulled up on stage. It was nice entertainment. I went to bed after but I think some of the group headed out to karaoke somewhere.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.1kb