Puno/Lake Titicaca Peru (Day1)


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
April 13th 2014
Published: April 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 55. We farewelled Cuzco with fond memories with a mini van trip to the bus station for a 7 hrs trip by local bus firstly back-tracking to Juliaca before heading further into the highlands and Puno. The high altiplano scenery to Puno was dramatic.

Not such a comfortable bus as it's not a regular route & along the way Ruth had her first onboard toilet experience & while able to borrow a head-torch & toilet paper a nose peg was unable to be found.

Puno is located on the shores of Lake Titicaca, and is a melting pot of Aymara and Quechuan Indian culture. Traditional Andean customs are still strongly represented here & is the reason why we will be doing a home stay here with a traditional Indian family. Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world, at 3,820 m above sea level with the shoreline stretching as far as the eye can see.

On late afternoon arrival we did a quick orientation of the town & then went to the local market to buy a range of dry food goods to take as a thank you present for our island host families. The town itself seems quite nice & we hope to have a little more time to wander on our return from the islands.

Advertisement



18th April 2014

miss you
Hi Ruthie, We miss you heaps.It has been great reading your adventures. What an amazing holiday you are both having and beautiful pictures. You both must be so fit and feel great. The Inca trail sounded amazing. Gerry is a talented writer- perhaps lonely planet can pay him to write great descriptions of travel experiences and you can keep travelling...... You definately should do a slide night when you get home over a few glasses of wine. Love Di, Ro and the girls miss you terribly. Rosie is getting quite vocal and is hilarious.

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1019.8kb