PUNO, LAKE TITICACA


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
May 22nd 2012
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

7.00a.m. 23.5.2012 - After having some lessions on Pisco Sour making - Elder said you haven't been to Peru unless you eat Guinea Pig - so we shared one between us - wasn't that psyched up for it - but it really was a couple of mouthfuls - bit like quail - not much meat and a lot of bones. Anyway we have tried it!!!! Can't believe we did that !! lAlso John tried a Alpaca steak which he thoroughly enjoyed.



22.5.2012

Headed off at 9.00a.m. in three cyclos down to the wharf area in Puna to catch our motor boat out to the floating islands of the Uros people, it was absolutely fantastic, there are groups of families who live on these floating islands, there’s a president and he presides over the community on each island. The community island we were one was about 4 or 5 couples and their kids. There is also a school (primary) out on Lake Titicaca, but then if kids go to secondary they have to be boated into Puno. 4500 people live out here, and the lake is 187 x 65 km, the kids we saw seemed just
UROS FLOATING ISLANDSUROS FLOATING ISLANDSUROS FLOATING ISLANDS

Stepping back in time
so happy and I guess each day seems like an adventure. We only saw the ones under 5 as others were all at school. Very friendly people and very warm towards us all. Lake Titicaca is half in Peru and half in Bolivia. We headed back to Puno for a late lunch and then some free time before going to Elder’s mates restaurant again tonight and he is going to teach us how to make Pisco Sours, we have the taste for them, but bought all the ingredients and will have a shot at that tonight. Had a good walk around town and walked up to the lookout for a view over Lake Titicaca. Are off to Bolivia tomorrow morning early will cross the border at midday and then onto Le Paz – bit hesitant as to what to expect in Bolivia but will wait and see. Heard drugs are rife and don’t want to end up in that San Pedro Prison so will be a lookout – Elder has a bit of trouble getting over the border so we will go separately with our Bolivian guide who will meet us at the border. 7.00a.m. 23.5.2012 - After having some lessions on Pisco Sour making - Elder said you haven't been to Peru unless you eat Guinea Pig - so we shared one between us - wasn't that psyched up for it - but it really was a couple of mouthfuls - bit like quail - not much meat and a lot of bones. Anyway we have tried it!!!! Can't believe we did that !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

UROS 3 SONSUROS 3 SONS
UROS 3 SONS

LINING UP FOR A FOOT RACE


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb