Playing in Puno


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
February 3rd 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Puno is a port town on Lake Titicaca, which pretty much only serves as a tourist point on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca and allows tourists to do day trips out to the floating reed islands and the island of Taquile within the Lake. THe reed islands host inhabitants who have lived on the floating islands for many generations. Unfortunately, the only ones you can visit are all geared towards toursit dollars, with men and women spending their time making crafts and perfecting their spanish and working on their english.

There are some other floating islands where tourists are not allowed, and I hope it remains that way if the alternative is to become tourist towns like those we visited. Not that theyre bad, as they do support the locals, it just seems a bit tacky. The islands of Taquile was a lot more genuine and just as picturesque with some traditional dances accompanying lunch, which was nice, local trout.

The boat cruise to and from the islands was relaxing and we met a few fellow travellers and had a bit of a chat on the way back, exchanging stories as travellers do.

There wasnt much to do in Puno at night, so fairly early we hit the hay to prepare to see Titicaca, the highest navigable lake from the Bolivian side.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb