Lake Titicaca 2: Puno, los Uros and Isla Taquile


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
April 17th 2008
Published: April 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We've made it to our 7th and my last country in South America. As a little update, Lara and I will prob be separating after the trek when I fly to Cuba and spend time there with Jon and then continue on to Costa Rica to do some volunteering for 2-3 weeks before the last fortnight relaxing in Nicaragua and Honduras for before heading home mid-June. Lara has decided to stay down here for a while to see Ecuador and Colombia before either returning to Brazil or coming up to Central America as she doesn't have anything to rush back to the UK for yet. And no i'm really not jealous. Honest.

Anyway, so we made it to Peru - a town called Puno to be precise. It too is on the shores on Lake Titicaca and we arranged a day trip to see the floating reed islands (Uros) and Isla Taquile.

We left the hostel at 6:45am to catch the boat which first stopped at the Uros islands. The islands are floating and bounce when you walk on them. Apparently they relay the reeds every week and i can imagine the islands take months to build. There are 56 islands in all, each with around 6 families living on them. The place itself is extremely touristy and i think their whole livelihoods come from tourist visits. Because of this, the whole thing seemed a bit fake and although their lifestyles must be very interesting in the middle of the lake, I couldn't help but feel weird being there. The guide would talk about their hard lifestyles and show us the women sewing and then obviously they tried to sell us things 4 times the price as on the mainland. The kids have been taught songs in languages of the main tourists and again, perform for money. Some boats even had kids giving tourists hugs and then wanting money for it. The men show you around their homes and allow you to take pictures and then show you to their wife's stall and encourage you to buy. It seems weird that they spend every day welcoming tourists like this and makes you think their everyday lives are a bit like a show and i started wishing that we hadn't actually gone and that they could just live there without the constant visits of tourists. But then I suppose they wouldn't get the money coming in so its hard to pass judgement on that....I've just realised I am thinking out loud. Sorry!

So anyhoo...i digress! Isla Taquile was the next stop after 2 more hours on the boat. This place had a nicer feel to it. Although they still have tourists, they have less of them and run their tourism industry as a cooperative. All prices for food, clothes etc are fixed and the same for any outsider of the island. The restaurants rotate having the tourists and different members of the community take it in turns to be in charge of, say water collection, fishing, feeding tourists etc. It is a place with a lot of tradition but sadly the younger generations are now leaving the island to seek jobs elsewhere so i'm not sure how long it will stay like that.

Lunch was the standard grilled trout that is served everywhere on Lake Titicaca and is the only option (short of cheese omelette) available on the island. Those who know my food preferences will be surprised to know that it was actually quite nice and less muddy than the trout I have tasted elsewhere!! (Sorry for the extra details but people like my Mum will be very surprised that I am actually eating fish so I had to drop it in - I usually don't really like it!) Next will be the whole roasted guinea pig - a Peruvian speciality. After 3 hours back on the boat and a little afternoon nap, we are back in Puno for one night and Cusco-bound in the morning. We leave for a 5 day trek on Saturday evening finishing at Macchu Picchu. How exciting!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

UrosUros
Uros

this reminded me of Venice a tiny bit!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb