Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
January 16th 2007
Published: January 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Lake Titicaca visit began at Puno, with a “limousine” ride down to the harbour followed by a short boat ride to the Floating Reed Islands of the Uros Indians. Our guide Silvia, explained much about how these people live. A mini demonstration of the island construction and daily life was explained. These people originally choose to live here to avoid the Spanish invasion, but now continue to live here to avoid government taxes. The island are floating, have 2 hours of electricity each day through solar power, the main source of income is fish from the lake, traded at markets each week. Families live together on the island, when inter family politics fail, the island are literally sawn in half and people go there separate ways. One way to solve neighbourhood domestic disputes!

A 2 hour boat ride took the gang to Amantani Island for an overnight stay with a Ayamara Indians family. A 10 minute game of soccer, at an altitude of 3,820m against the Budget gang proved excruciatingly tiring. Loosing was a joy; with burning lungs, throats and asthma inhalers in hand a walk to the top of the island was not the 1st choice of next activity - normally a spectacular sunset, but not to be on this day.

Some dinner from the home stay family was served and the majority of the gang met for some fancy dress and not so fancy dancing at altitude. Fun was had by all!

Next day we visited Taquile Island, some more climbing, markets, lunch and spectacular views of Late Titicaca. On the 2.5 hour boat trip back to Puno we stopped for a quick swim in the chilling waters. Very refreshing!



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Boat RideBoat Ride
Boat Ride

Silvia explains the details of the Titicaca people
Uros IndiansUros Indians
Uros Indians

Mini Model of Islandi
Amantani Island Amantani Island
Amantani Island

Dressed for a night of dancing...
Amantani Island Amantani Island
Amantani Island

Our papa for the night.
Amantani Island Amantani Island
Amantani Island

Home stay accommodation


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb