The highest lake ive ever done...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Uros Island
May 2nd 2006
Published: May 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had booked a tour to see the famous floating islands on Lake Titicaca, and after being picked up we head down to the port. As we head out to the islands the view is amaing the blues and greens of lake seem extra vivid in the moring sun although being at this height and the time of day the wind is biting but doesnt deter us sitting on top of the boat taking in these unique views.

The first island we visit is tiny, these people moved onto the reed beds to flea from the Spanish and have lived there since, although numbers have fallen to only1,000 on all the islands is still group of people who are living in a historic way.

The islands are made be securing the reed roots together then putting down new flooring (more reeds, they also eat reeds) every 2 months, they feel very secure and you wouldnt know that these islands have the potential to float away in storms. The people look so traditional its hard to believe this isnt all an act at a new Peru section at Alton Towers. We get a traditional reed boat across to the next island, which is identical to the first but with a small boy trying to sell us pictures he drew, we decline, matt pokes him with a stick.

After taking some great photos, we board our boat back to Puno and plan our escape to Bolivia the land of altitude, salt lakes and cocaine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb