Welcome to the jungle...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Madre de Dios
January 10th 2010
Published: January 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sun Mi and I had agreed to avoid night buses in Peru at all costs (we've heard about way too many crashes, including one involving a fellow Travelblogger). But with the clock winding down on our time here, and our need to cover some serious distance, we caved and ended up taking an overnight bus back to Cusco. The bus itself was comfortable enough (we opted for the first class ticket), but the ride was so unbelievably rough, that I barely slept two hours out of the ten-hour journey (and I may have even uttered a few Hail Marys along the way...). But we made it! I practically kissed the ground and then let my mom now that I got in okay. **Oh, and Mom... I didn't tell you at the time, but we had to use the same bus company as that blogger you read about.**

After a couple of days back in Cusco, we flew to Puerto Maldonado to head into the jungle for four days and three nights. The river that we stayed on is called the Madre de Dios (Mother of God), which after passing through Bolivia and part of Brazil, joins with the Amazon.
Night monkeyNight monkeyNight monkey

Only 3 months old!

After being picked up from the airport, we were shuttled to the city market to buy water, ponchos, and various other supplies for our excursion. Then it was a 1.5-hour boat ride to the lodge. We were greeted with a fruity drink and lunch consisting of chicken and rice cooked in plantains. Then we were given the keys to our bungalows and told to change for the jungle. When we regrouped, they gave us rubber boots and we shuffled back onto the boat.

About twenty minutes later, we arrived at Monkey Island. Our machete-wielding guide led us on a twenty-minute walk into the jungle. We saw a few monkeys along the way, before coming to an open area with a wooden platform. Our guide pulled out some bananas and started whacking them into pieces with the machete while calling, "C'mon monkey! C'mon monkey!" Slowly, they started coming down - mostly capuchins and one black spider monkey. There was even a mom carrying her tiny baby on her back.

When we returned from Monkey Island, we cleaned up and then pretty much sat around until dinner. Then we got back on the boats to go look for caimans. Unfortunately
So cuteSo cuteSo cute

Mommy, Mommy, I waaaaaaant one!!! ;)
we only saw one baby, but our guide grabbed him and brought him on board so everyone could get a close look.

We were up at 5AM the next day for a 3-mile trek through the jungle to reach a small lagoon, where we got in a wooden boat and our guide slowly paddled us around, pointing out various flora and fauna. We saw several baby caimans, loads of turtles, and a few birds. After that, we walked another mile or so and then got in a big wooden canoe, which we paddled for three miles through the swamp (a little tiring on the arms thanks to the heavy, wooden paddles). Then it was back to the lodge.

On the third day, we took a boat trip up the river and tried our hand at fishing. Everyone got bites, but nobody actually caught anything. A few people went swimming, but Sun Mi and I decided to stay on the boat (we went swimming back in the pool at the lodge later).



We had to be up early again on the fourth day to get the boat back to Puerto Maldonado. Since the lodge only has electricity from 6pm-10pm and no television, computers, or phones, Sun Mi and I didn't know the outcome of the football game. So I called my dad from a payphone at the airport to let him know I was still alive and to inquire about the the score. Sad to hear, but still proud of our team!



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Our first encounterOur first encounter
Our first encounter

Don't remember what kind though...
Spider monkeySpider monkey
Spider monkey

A super greedy one!
Leaving Monkey IslandLeaving Monkey Island
Leaving Monkey Island

Sunset on our first day
Jungle trekJungle trek
Jungle trek

On our way to a lagoon
Massive treeMassive tree
Massive tree

Apparently the wood is used to make plywood
Baby monkeyBaby monkey
Baby monkey

He came with us on our fishing trip.


14th January 2010

I wanna go
I want to go to Monkey Island
15th January 2010

madre de dios
Alyssa--it is trite to say, but true--you never cease to amaze us with your spirit of adventure and curiosity about the world you live in. We love you and very much appreciate you allowing us to share adventures and sights we will never be able to experience.
12th April 2011
Mama and baby

cute cute;-)

Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb