Welcome to the Jungle...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Madre de Dios » Puerto Maldonado
December 6th 2006
Published: December 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well I hope you all managed to find the time to finish reading the last entry..... we left you having completed the inca trail. Since than we have travelled to Puerto Marldonado to experience the Amazon.. What can i say about rainforrests, it rains, its hot, its humid and the mozi´s are massive.

We spent four days, three nights in the Eco Amazonian lodge which is located about 1:30hrs down river from Puerto Maldonado. The lodge was nice but I (P) was ill again (twice in 2 weeks) and missed one of the tours. We got to see Monkeys , snakes, tapiers, caimens, and parrots.

We headed back to Lima after the Amazon although the flight was delayed for six hours, but we are starting to get use to that. Overnight in Lima, in the strangtest hotel I have ever set eyes on. old colonial style pictures and paintings on the wall. The room looked like an extension to the roof and we woke up to another room being built on top of ours. don´t ask... prompt exit....

We have since got a bus to Pisco, the home of the Pisco Sour (a white brandy that is mixed
SnakeSnakeSnake

baby boa..
with egg white and the juice of a whole lime, blended and served). we both decided to save ourselves for our first Pisco Sour in Pisco, so got a bit drunk last night on them.....

Booked a trip to the Islas Ballestas, which is also known as the ´Poor Mans Gallapagos´. Got a speed boat to the island from Paracas and took plenty of pictures of sealions, penguins, Peruvian boobies and the like before heading back. the most interesting part of the day took place in and around the Reserva National de Paracas. this is a reserve set aside for the protection of the sealions and migrating birds that come to the area. Apparently every 15 years or so the El Niño effect warms up the sea in the area killing of the plankton, which in turn results in a drastic reduction in numbers for anchovies. so what you might think... but with no little anchovies the sealions, boobies etc can not feed and the El Niño kills between 50% and 65% of all of the marine wildlife in the area. So there you go...

The reserve is also one of the dryest areas on earth with only 2mm of rainfall per year....

Lunch was at a fishing village in the reserva, it was straight out of the boat and on to our plates...yum....

Enough of that ... tomorrow we are going to Ica to do some Sandboarding (Nic´s idea) before making our way to Nazca to see the famous Nazca lines then on to Arequipa which is expeted to be ´muy bonito´.

Hope you are all well and making headway with the Christmas shopping...
P and Nic x


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Penguin dude.. Penguin dude..
Penguin dude..

Isla Ballestas
SealionSealion
Sealion

Isla Ballestas
Reserva de ParacasReserva de Paracas
Reserva de Paracas

Desert meets Pacific


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb