Peru Trip (August 11th- 27th, 2012)


Advertisement
Published: December 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 3: Monday, August 13th, 2012- Lima, Peru to Puerto Maldonado, Peru

Today, we woke up early to catch our flight to Puerto Maldonado for our Amazon tour. In Puerto Maldonado, we met two other girls from Ottawa, Canada (Melina and Kalina). They were also on the Intrepid trip to the Amazon Lodge, but apparently their names were not on the list of individuals staying at the Lodge. I am not sure what happened but everything eventually worked out. Since we needed to take a 1.5 hour boat ride to the lodge we were only allowed to bring a small bag of clothes on the boat. I quickly packed some night clothes, and a pair of clothes in my carry on baggage. I forgot to bring underwear and another set of clothes. I was pretty much roughing it out in the Amazon with the bare essentials.

When we reached the lodge, it was a lot nicer than I expected. We had this great Amazonian 3 course meal with rice and chicken in a leaf. It looked pretty cool. Afterwards, we went to monkey island where we saw a black spider monkey, white capuchin monkey and a small little rodent who climbed on peoples backs.

After monkey island, we had a buffet dinner and then went out on the boat again to look for caimens and their beady red eyes. I was not able to get any pictures because it was too dark. Nevertheless, it was a good experience even though I did not see any caimens.

Tomorrow is going to be an exhausting day. Wake up call at 5:00am, breakfast at 5:30am and tour at 6:00am. We will be taking a 3km canoe ride and a 5 km walk. This will definately prepare me for the inca trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Peruvian AmazonPeruvian Amazon
Peruvian Amazon

The 2 hour boat ride to the Lodge
Scenery Scenery
Scenery

Land gets flooded during rainy season
Monkey IslandMonkey Island
Monkey Island

Cute monkey that followed us around


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb