The Jungle


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving chilly Cusco (where we transferred by plane), we arrived in the extremely humid Puerto Maldonado. The mugginess was a strange change from the thin air of Arequipa and the Colca Canyon.

From the Airport, we had a short drive to the river, followed by a three hour motorised Canoe trip to our lodge. On the way we were lucky enough to see the Capivarra (see picture for explanation!) and experience the many sounds of the Jungle. We also saw numerous birds and fauna on the way.

Arriving at the picturesque lodge as the sun set, we were greeted with a cocktail by candle light. After unpacking in the dark (no electricity), we set off for a night time trek of the Jungle, armed only with head lamps and Wellys! We waded through swamped paths swarmed by mosquitoes. This trail was mainly aimed at spotting the insects that inhabit the area and were easier to view during night with torches. Neither of us had ever seen such huge insects and Bex was very brave (only screaming once!). At one point we all turn off our lights and the sound of the Jungle was awesome. We also spotted several fire flies.

We were so lucky to have Gino, our guide, with us. Probably the most enthusiastic man in the world! He is a naturist and is fascinated by any creature however small. His expert eye helped us spot many things we would have overlooked - imagine a Spanish version of Steve Irwin!

After our walk, we headed back to our lodge for a good nights sleep with our co-habiting cockroaches!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A CapivarraA Capivarra
A Capivarra

Unfortunately I was unable to get a good picture of this amazing animal! You can just see its head if you look at the bottom left corner. The Capivarra is the largest rodent in the world. It is a truly fascinating creature, it is a cross between a pig and a rat and absolutely massive! We were lucky enough to see one swim beside us, then climb up into the Jungle.
Bullet antBullet ant
Bullet ant

The most dangerous ant in the Jungle. An inch long. Their bite will put you in hospital for three days with a fever!
"Hot Lips""Hot Lips"
"Hot Lips"

No explanation needed!


30th March 2007

Great photos
Good to see that you are both having such a good time. You obviously have seen some very interesting flora and fauna judging by the photos. Just one thing though - are you sure Gino wasn't a naturalist rather than a naturist?!!
30th March 2007

WOW!
The jungle looks amazing. We are so envious. Think we spotted the cawarra (was that right??) . Good to hear from you. Keep the pictures coming. xxxx
30th March 2007

Joe!
Actually Joe, he was starkers all the time!! Neither of us will admit our error!!

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 19; qc: 96; dbt: 0.1285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb